4 Days Post Op from Smart Lipo and when I Eat a Meal Swelling Seems to Get Worse.. Any Ideas?

I had my upper and lower abdomen and waist done 4 days ago. I ate my first real meal today and am experiencing serious swelling, possibly bloating I cant really tell. Also, is it okay that one incision site is still bleeding minimally?

Laser Lipo Recovery Tips

+2

Fluctuations in swelling are very common in the early recovery period.  Make sure you are wearing your compression garment, eating healthy, and drinking plently of water.  Add a protein drink to your daily diet for the next week or so.  Increased protein will help absorb the swelling and move your recovery along faster.  Drainage is standard but varies from individual to individual.  It will stop when it's time.  Make sure you maintain a good posture and start massaging the treated areas now.  See your surgeon frequently so he or she can coach you through the recovery process.  

Swelling after Liposuction at 4 Days after Eating

+1

Eating always distends a belly to some extent and bloating is not uncommon either.  In addition, at 4 days swelling will come and go due to activity and diet.  The swelling should continue to improve over about 3 month period.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling can have many causes after Smartlipo

+1

Swelling four days after Smartlipo can have many causes.  Too salty a meal can cause fluid retention.  Pain medication can cause bloating and constipation.  Eating too much may make your abdomen feel too large as well.  It is probably normal but check with your doctor to make sure there are not any signs of infection.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo recovery

+1

This may just be bloating, but it is best to make a follow up appointment with your surgeon to have any questions answered properly.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Eating

+1

I is not uncommon for patients to swell in the early post lipo period.  You need to eat healthy and in moderation. Perhaps you are getting too much salt in your diet. Keep compression garment on

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Liposuction recovery

+1

Swelling after liposuction is common, and some drainage from the incision sites can occur for a few days after the procedure.

Smart Lipo and post operative swelling

+1

It is not unusual to experience swelling following smart lipo liposuction.  This is true of any liposuction procedure and the swelling may vary from day to day.  If you wear your compression garment it should resolve over the next few weeks.  Another cause for bloating especially after eating may be due to a decrease in intestinal motility.  Pain medication can contribute to bloating.  Try to decrease your pain medication usage and increase walking.  A laxative may also help but check with your doctor first before taking any medication.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon