I Am 9 Days Post-op from Rhinoplasty. I Am a Baseball Player & Was Hoping Play Again Day 29? Thanks.

Wondering how long a sufficient healing time would be to resume baseball activities? Thx

When is it Safe to Play Baseball After Rhinoplasty?

+1

Hi Sam,

You should discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  The nasal bones are usually healed by about 3 weeks after surgery, 29 days should be fine.  The risk of hurting your nose at 29 days after surgery in a contact sport are the same.  Even if you have not had surgery, if you get hit in the face, your nose can break.  Good luck and be well...Play Ball!!!

Dr. P

Rhinoplasty and baseball

+1

Usually I allow patient to go back to full contact sports within 6-8 weeks.  3 weeks may be a bit early.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Sports after rhinoplasty

+1

We feel that the nose is fully firm and healed sufficiently to allow sports after four weeks. After rhinoplasty, your nose will always fracture more easily so protect your investment.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for 25 years and my rule of thumb is to avoid strenuous activity for 1 month following Rhinoplasty.  For contact sports like baseball, where you can get hit with the ball, glove or a runner...the risk of injury to the nose goes up.  I would tell you to ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for his/her recommendations.  I would allow my Rhinoplasty patient to play ball, after 1 month, but make them responsible for what may ultimately occur should you get hit in the nose.  

Rhinoplasty

+1

I usually tell my rhinoplasty patients to refrain from exertion for 1 week, weight lifting or other gym exercises for 3 weeks and contact sports for 6 weeks.  Any minor trauma to the face playing baseball can significantly impact the outcome of your rhinoplasty and may be difficult to correct. 

Michael J. Lipan M.D.  Facial Plastic Surgery of Palm Beach Gardens and West Palm Beach, Florida

Michael Lipan, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long after rhinoplasty can I play baseball?

+1

As a former baseball player, I know you want to get back out on the field as fast as possible! The answer to your question, however, is a tough one. At one month after surgery, the swelling should be down significantly but the nose is still pretty fragile. The activities that you can do safely really depend on what exactly was done in your surgery (specifically, if the nasal bones were reshaped).  It's best to check with your surgeon before resuming sports where you could get hit by another athlete or a ball of some kind... Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon