I Am 5 Days Post-op from Anchor BR- How Can I Best Care For Extensive Scarring?

I Am 5 Days Post-op from Anchor BR. I Am 56, 5', and Surprised to Have Needed No Pain Meds. I have extensive scarring and would appreciate suggestions as to how to care for same. Thank you for this service.

Post op care for breast reduction scar

+2
Congratulations on having had the surgery. Many patients are pleasantly surprised that the postop pain was better than anticipated. At this point, your sutures should still be in place and the "extensive scarring" you describe is not a scar, yet, but a healing surgical wound. If silicone sheeting is necessary, you doctor will recommend it, probably no earlier than 8 weeks after surgery. Once the sutures are removed, you should keep the area moisturized and enjoy your new, smaller breasts! Follow your surgeon's post-op protocols and you should do fine. Dr. K

Breast reduction scarring

+2

That is great that you do not have significant post-op pain. Most patients do not.  As for the scarring, surgeons offer different things and you should ask yours  how he/she likes to handle them. I usually keep ster-strips on for 4-6 weeks. Sometimes paper tape the incisions for a few more weeks after that. Very few patients if any in my practice ever use silicone sheeting.

Breast Reduction Aftercare?

+2

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your breast reduction procedure.  This tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations ww perform.

Your surgeon will have specific recommendations for you in regards to scar care.  If not,  you may want to inquire about the use of silicone-based products.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Treatment of incisions following breast reduction

+1

It is great that you are doing so well after your breast reduction. Regarding how to address your incisions in order for them to heal in the best possible way, you need to talk with your plastic surgeon who performed your surgery and has responsibility of your care (and not physicians answering on the internet). Ask him/her what his/her approach is including product if any, timing and duration.

For my patients, I will most often use a silicone based product that is applied to the incisions starting around 3 weeks depending on wound healing. At times and depending on risks or evolving findings, I will add silicone gel sheeting.

Web reference: http://www.arizonabreast.com

Scar management should be left to your surgeon!

+1

Hi there-

You trusted your surgeon enough to let them perform surgery on you but want to get recommendations for scar treatment from people you've never met on the internet???

I would be really upset if my patients were following instructions from other surgeons and patients of other surgeons on the internet rather than the instructions I know in my practice will lead them to a lovely and inconspicuous scar.

I agree with Dr. Rand- you owe it to your surgeon to follow their instructions. Let's put it this way- if things don't turn out the way you wanted, you and your surgeon are the ones who are going to have to deal with it- not one of us.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Questions for YOUR surgeon please!

+1

All of us have regimens we aske our patients to follow for scars and I am sure your surgeon does too.  They would be very sad to think you weren't asking them these questions.  Please get off the net and go to your surgeon!!  Good luck.