4 Days Post Op Breast Reduction Bruising; Should I Be Concerned?

I have some very large (covering almost a 1/4 of breast), very dark purple bruising unlike any I have seen in post op pics from others who have had a BR. Should I be concerned about this and put a call in to PS? Or just wait until my appointment on Tuesday? I have no fever and feel relatively well. Thanks!

Bruising and Swelling after Breast Reduction

+2

Bruising is completely normal and expected after surgery. Most post-op photos are taken after all the bruising and swelling have dissipated and the final results are apparent. We advise our patients to avoid any blood thinners (including green tea and multivitamins)  two weeks before and two weeks after surgery to help the bruising subside faster and reduce the amount of swelling our patients may experience.

Bruising after breast reduction

+1

Bruising is not at all uncommon after breast reduction surgery. You are probably fine to wait but if you are concerned enough to post here, I would suggest that you call your surgeon's office and ask them what your doctor would recommend. He or she may want to see you sooner. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Post-breast reduction bruising

+1
Breats reduction is a significant operation so bruising is to be expected. However, if you are concerned, then definitely call your plastic surgeon and do not wait another 6 days to see him if he thinks you should come in sooner.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Bruising is not unusual after breast reduction

+1

Bruising is quite common after breast reduction, especially if your surgeon uses some liposuction for final shaping as we do at the end of the reduction procedure. You don't see pictures of very bruised patients as it just looks unpleasant and the final results are far more interesting.

Bruising 4 Days After Reduction Not Unusual

+1

It is not at all unusual to have moderate bruising a few days following a breast reduction.  If there has been no significant increase in the volume of one or both breasts, it should be safe to wait for your scheduled appointment.  Few, if any, of the post-op photos you see on websites are taken that soon post-op.

John Whitt, MD