I Am 9 Days Post Op Ba. I Had my Incision at the Areola. My Ps Said I Could Shop for Underwire Bra?

My ps said I could stop wearing the sports bra and buy an underwire if I wanted. Is this ok so soon post op? My incision is at the areola. I just want to make sure I do everything right and I allow myself to d & f. I got 600cc in my left breast & 650cc in my right breast, silicone hp.

Every surgeon has different protocols

While many surgeons avoid underwire bras for many weeks after surgery some do not for particular reasons.  Perhaps he or she is trying to shape something at the bottom of the breast or give you extra support for some reason.  I would definitely ask him/her as this is going to be the best place for direct advice.

What to Wear After Breast Augmentation

An underwire bra is not something I would recommend after breast augmentation. Underwire bras tend to push up the implant and can also be uncomfortable. Generally, my patients wear a sports bra for 4-6 weeks after surgery. It is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Infraareolar Incision and Underwire Bra

An underwire bra is not something I recommend after breast augmentation, but at least you do not have an inframammary incision or concomitant lift.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

With periareolar incision, underwire bra sounds fine (no incision to irritate)!

My best advice is: follow your surgeon's advice. Since you have no inframammary incision to be irritated by an underwire bra, and assuming your implant position does not need to drop, your surgeon obviously wants you to suppoprt the healing breast tissues and maintain implant position. An underwire helps you do this, particularly with the large(r) implants you have.

Those of us who use other incisions or position the implants (slightly higher) so that inevitable drop does not "go too far" may actually recommend no bra (or underwire to irritate an inframammary incision) for a period of time post-op. That clearly does not apply to you, but your careful research has understandably prompted your question! Thanks for asking! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bra choices after surgery

Thank you for your question. My patients will have a surgical bra that I place at the time of surgery. They normally wear this for the first week or two and then transition to a sports bra that opens in the front. By six weeks, if their implants have sufficiently descended, I let my patients know they can start wearing a normal bra (including a push-up bra). They may still undergo some changes which can change their bra preferences a few months later.

Underwire bra after Breast Aug

Each surgeon has a slightly different protocol but from the posts most surgeons say 4-6 weeks before an underwire bra can be worn.  Speak with your surgeon about his/her protocol.

Underwire Bra?

I would follow your surgeon's advice unless you have some pressing info that he/she may be mistaken. 

Most surgeons who caution against their use early on do so because they used an incision in the fold, and many find these uncomfortable. 

Your surgeon's advice is based on knowing what was done, and following your progress. No online advice will be comparable.

All the best. 

Misconceptions about underwire bras and breast augmentation

Actually, I agree that most underwire bras are not good for breast augmentation because they usually have structure intended to push the breast up.  This action is not desirable in augmentation.  An underwire that does not have any push up element is just fine though and I use a particular one on all of my augmentations for 3 months 24/7 after surgery.  Having been in practice for some 25 years, I am amazed by how different and more accurate the results are by splinting them postoperatively like I do now.

Underwire Bra after Breast Augmentation

As you can see, plastic surgeons have different post op protocols. Although I would not normally recommend an underwire bra that soon after a breast augmentation, you should follow the advise of your surgeon.

I am ok with underwire for my patients after a couple of weeks. Your surgeon is the best person to ask this question.