I'm 4 Days Post Op and my Breast Are Numb Under my Nipple and Above my Incision on Both Sides?

My breast are numb on the skin below my nipples and above my incisions. Will this go away?

Numbness after Bam

+2

What you describe is quite normal.  Some is due to swelling, and some is due to small skin nerves that provide sensation and must be cut during the procedure.  Excellent chance of sensation return.  You need to be patient, which is very tough to do.

Post Op Sensation Defitic

+1

Numbness after surgery is expected. After breast surgery give yourself 6-8 weeks to recover. Most likely the sensation will return. If by then you still have questions, check with your surgeon. Some areas might take longer to recover. Good luck!

Humberto Palladino, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Numbness Can Be Common After Surgery

+1

It's quite common to have numbness following a breast augmentation. While some women experience numbness, others are hypersensitive to touch. It's hard to predict ahead of time, but the effects you are experiencing should go away by themselves over time. Lack of sensation or extra sensitivity alone are not typically things you would need to worry about, but if you experience redness with swelling and pain you would want to contact your surgeon and have him/her take a look.

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Healing after Breast Implants

+1

Numbness on the skin oof the breast, especially above the incision and around the nipple area is common in the weeks after breast implant surgery. The larger the breast implant relative to the size of the patient, the more chance of getting some irritation, bruising or stretching of the nerves. Some patients even get over sensitive (hypersensitivity) in the nipple area. Generally, this dissipates within two months after surgery but some patients take as long as 6 months. There is a small subset of people in whom the numbness does not go away. As always, speak with your surgeon if there is something you think is out of the ordinary.

William LoVerme, MD

4 days after surgery nipple numb

+1

Nipple numbness is common just after surgery. Usually it will get better with time. Be patient.  If concerned speak with your surgeon.

Numbness after breast augmentation

+1
During breast augmentation, nerves can be cut, stretched, or injured by heat from cautery used to stop bleeding. This can cause numbness, increased sensitivity, or decreased sensation.
Most of the time, if sensation isn't normal right after surgery, it will recover within a few weeks after surgery. For some patients it can take years, and a very small percentage never regain normal sensation. There is increased risk with larger implants, which is generally over 400ml, but is different for every person.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Sensory changes following a breast augmentation

+1

Sensory nerve related problems are very common after breast augmentation surgery and in most cases they are temporary.  There are many factors involved.  The sensory nerves emanate around the periphery of the breast between the ribs.  The implant can place pressure on these nerves and this can cause either hypersensitivity or a decrease in sensation.  The hypersensitivity can be quite annoying to patients causing a deep burn or ache with only light touch.  This is self-limiting and generally massage will help to desensitize the problem.  In rare cases medication can be needed to help.  Temporary loss of sensation to the skin of the breast other than the nipple and areole is quite common and will get better over the first 3 months. 

Numbness after breast augmentation

+1

Breast numbness after augmentation is uncommon but is possible and discussed often. Patients worry about nipple sensation however we find that the numb area is often just below the nipple and off to the side of the breast. For most the feeling will return over time as the nerves are stretched by the pressure of the implant. Implant size rather than location of the incision can matter most.

Numb Breasts

+1

Thank you for your question.  Numbness can occur around the incision site, areolar region and even the entire breast.  This can be very temporary and in rare cases even permanent.  I usually tell my patients to allow a six month period following your surgery to see whether sensation returns or  not.  Be certain that you address your concerns to your surgeon during your post-operative visits. Best of luck to you.

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after breast augmentation

+1

Numbness can be temporary or permanent. It depends on exactly what was done during the surgery. If you have questions, call your surgeon. He/She should be more than willing to speak to you about this.

Matthew Schulman, MD