8 Days Post Op and Having Very Bad Pain in the Left Breast?

i have been doing very minimal at work / things around the house . But i keep getting a very brutal pain in my left breast from 1 - 10 the pain is definitely a 8 or 9 it only last maybe up to 5 minutes but it feels like somebody is stabbing me in the chest and it hurts to breathe in and out if i push on the spot where it hurts then it will stop ? Any idea what this could be ? Should i be worried ? my BA is 6 hours away .. only happened maybe 3 or 4 times and last only a max if 5 min.

Post op and breast lift

+1

It is difficult to determine what is causing your pain without examining you. I would recommend for you to go back to your plastic surgeon and have he/she re-examine you.

Key West Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast surgery

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is common to have pain after breast surgery, but most people would not describe the pain as a 8 or 9 out of 10.  Depending on the type of surgery you had, there can be varying amounts of discomfort.  It is important to communicate with your surgeon during the early post operative period, especially if you are having a significant amount of pain.  If the pain is getting worse or the breast is enlarging, this could indicate a problem that your surgeon needs to know about.  Although you are far, pictures or a live chat over the internet can be very helpful.  Good luck!

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

+1

Although most patients still have pain at eight days, this does seem a bit out of the ordinary, and will not be resolved on the internet. 

SInce your surgeon is so far away, next best would be to forward some photos and call him/her. After some give and take on the phone, a better recommendation of whether you need to be seen by your surgeon or a local doctor can be made.

Some of the possible causes are serious, most not.

All the best. 

Severe pain after breast surgery

+1

Without an exam, its difficult to say. Its unusual to have severe pain after surgery. Most of my patients actually have little to no pain. Based on your symptoms, I would guess that there a nerve that is being irritated. However, there could be other causes. I would contact your PS to see what he thinks, since he knows exactly what he did in the surgery. In most cases, the pain should resolve but there is no way to know how quickly that will happen. Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Pain after implants

+1

Without being seen it is difficult to say what the cause of the pain is.  I think it is best to be seen by your doctor to make sure things are OK.

8 Days after Breast Augmentation and Bad, Intermittent Pain in Left Breast

+1

If the pain is intermittent and runs from your lateral chest wall to the areola, this is likely a nerve issue, which should subside with time.  Ruling out hematoma or seroma would also be prudent, which should make the left breast appear larger.  If there are any breathing issues, you should see a doctor right away.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Postop pain one week out from breast surgery

+1

Hello 'awhite', thanks for your question.  Without seeing a photo or knowing any details of what surgery you had (?augmentation, lift, reduction, reconstruction, etc.) it is difficult to ascertain what might be happening.  Eight days postop is still very early and it is normal to have some pain, especially if you had submuscular placement of implants.  Your 'minimal' activity around the house may be irritating the stretched pectoralis muscle and surrounding thoracic nerves, which can take a few weeks to months to completely settle out.  A couple urgent things to rule out that would need immediate attention would be a postop hematoma collection, or an acute infection of your wounds and/or implants.  Either way, I recommend seeing your doctor right away so that he may do a thorough exam to rule out the above.  Hopefully he is a board-certified plastic surgeon, who should be well-trained and adept at handling these postop issues that can arise. Good luck! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon