I Am 8 Days Post Lipo of Abdomen/flanks and Have Developed a Hematoma. Do I Need This Surgically Removed Asap? (photo)

About a litre of fat was removed. I developed a large hematoma on one side (hip/flank), about 6 inches square, maybe even more, on day 3 or 4. Some swelling which seems to have gone down a little. I am not in any pain . My dr. wants to put me back under general anesthesia asap and drain the hematoma (incision, scar). My hematologist says there is no risk in waiting a week. The dr. wants to do this now. Can anyone weigh in? Many thanks.

Hematoma drainage after liposuction

+2

Only your surgeon knows exactly what is going on because he examined you, but a hematoma after liposuction needing urgent drainage is very very unusual. Perhaps there is something more to this story because it just doesn't sound right. Hematomas will liquify after 10-14 days and can usually be aspirated with a needle and no anesthesia needed.  

I Am 8 Days Post Lipo of Abdomen/flanks and Have Developed a Hematoma. Do I Need This Surgically Removed Asap?

+1

Why do you have a hematologist?  If there is something else in your medical history?  I have had to drain a hematoma once out of thousands of liposuctions.  I did it to improve final contours, and it was not done ASAP.  I would defer to your surgeon and hematologist on this one.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Liposuction.php

Follow your plastic surgeon's advice

+1

It is rare to develop hematoma after liposuction.  It is hard to appreciate the hematoma from your photo.  Since your plastic surgeon has examined you, you should follow his/her recommendation.  Talk with your plastic surgeon in regards to the length and location of scar and share your concern... Good luck to you.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com

+1

The posted photo is of little aid. But needless to say if the diagnosis is a postoperative hematoma, especially if "your" surgeon makes this diagnosis. Than you ONLY option is to follow his advise. Though rare hematomas following liposuction can occur in low % of the cases of liposuction. You failed to mention if you had possible medical history to forming hematomas; as easy bruising, taking blood thinners or aspirin products or vitamin E, or supplements. Blood clotting issues. Which type of liposuction you had? I say this because only 1 liter of fat removal is not a large amount. Awaiting to hear your decisions and replies. 

Hematoma after liposuction

+1

Hematomas are rare following a liposuction but can occur. I have never personally drained a hematoma after a liposuction. I find these resolve on their own without surgical intervention. However, I would trust your PS because he has examined you and I have not. Good Luck.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

A hematoma needs surgical treatment

+1

Thank you for your photo.  If your PS believes this to be a hematoma then you should follow his or her advice.  It is not prudent to "wait" for a hematoma to get better.

Dr. ES

Hematoma after Liposuction

+1

Well that is not a common event after liposuction.  IN GENERAL a small hematoma can be watched and/or aspirated as long as it is not enlarging.  But that is very general statement.  Your question demands much more than a general rule given on Real Self.  If you are not fully confident with your surgeon's recommendation, then see another respected board certified plastic surgeon for a second pinion.  Hematologists are well trained, but they are not the experts in the management of post-operative problems.  Best of luck!

Long Island Plastic Surgeon