3 Days Post-Op and Implants Are Making Noises, Should I be Concerned?

I had silicon implants on Monday 02/13/12 .... I have 400 cc's in left breast and 450 cc's in the right breast under the muscle incision under breast fold. Today I started noticing that my breast make creaking/burping noises when I move a certain way. It is totally freaking me out ... just weird sensation. I'm also very itchy .... can I put cortisone on my breast (NOT at the incision site of course!) Thanks

Noises after Breast Augmentation?

+2

As always it is best to check with your plastic surgeon about specific questions/concerns,  especially the potential for allergic reaction ( itching…).

The “noises” you are hearing are generally  nothing to be concerned about;  it is likely related to fluid/air around the breast implants.  This usually dissipates within a few weeks after surgery.

Breast noise post breast augmentation

+1

At the time of the breast augmentation, air entered the submusclar area and overtime it will be absorbed.  This usually takes less than a week and is the source of your noise.  Itching is a pain sensation that is probablt associated with the stretching of the skin from the implants, which are relatively large.  This will resolve in time as well.  I would definately discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Noisy breasts

+1

It is not unusual to hear/feel some squeaks or noises in the immediate post-op period following breast augmentation.  This likely represents bubbles, or air/fluid interface in the pocket made by the surgeon.  It usually is gone by the end of the first or second week.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Noises 3 days after breast surgery

+1

Noises that you hear a few days after breast augmentation surgery may be from fluid/air that has not resorbed in the pocket. This usually goes away within a week or so.

Your surgeon should be available so call him or her....

+1

I would tell you that to ask specific questions like can I use a medication such as cortisone on your breasts is not safe.  I would tell you that this is something that nobody except your surgeon can answer.  I would not let my patients use cortisone in the first few days without seeing her and knowing what is going on.  

Noises are very common in the first few weeks but once again you should check with your surgeon.

Good luck, and feel better.....

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Noises

+1

What you describe seems to be not uncommon after surgery due to air and fluid build up around implant - I would, however, let your PS know about any concerns you may have during the recovery process

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is totally normal!!! There is usually a small amount of fluid and air that collects around the implant during surgery and this usually is gone in the first several weeks or so, sometimes sooner....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon