Really Bad Cough 1 Week Post-Op TT, Now BB is Really Swollen, Should I Be Concerned?

I have not worn compression garments as my PS doesn't use them it was a full TT no lipo and my BB is now swollen and feels tender no redness is there a chance I could have split something with all the coughing I am doing as I am literally coughing constantley

Pulmonary Complications after Tummy Tuck?

+2

You have two issues that need to be addressed immediately.

1. You may  been experiencing a pulmonary complications after surgery.   You should be evaluated and possibly treated for pneumonia.

2. Abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:

A. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.

B. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 

C. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.

D. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.

+2

Drs Kraft & Khoobehi are correct. Seek immediate medical attention! No compression very unusual, but it is the surgeon's choice. Fearful of pulmonary issues. 

You need to see your surgeon

+2

I agree with Dr.Kraft. You may have walking pneumonia or collapsed air pockets. The use of girdles is  the surgeons preference.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Coughing after tummy tuck

+1
I am surprised that your doctor doesn't use compression garments to reduce the swelling post-abdominoplasty. If you are coughing incessantly, my concern would also be for postop pneumonia after several hours of general anesthesia. You should return to your plastic surgeon for evaluation. Too much coughing could cause tearing of some of the internal sutures. Get evaluated and get well soon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD