Six days out from surgery for ptosis and dermatochalasis? (photo)

I know it's early but I'm worried that my right eye is still too low? Could this even out in time and if not, would I need to do the full blepharoplasty on that eye again?

Ptosis surgery

+1

In your post you indicated that you had both blepharoplasty and ptosis repair performed. This can induce significant swelling that is not always symmetrical. Your right eyelid is certainly slightly lower than the left. 

This may be due to asymmetrical swelling. However ptosis surgery is extremely challenging and even in the most expert hands, there is a 10-15% revision rate. 

I would recommend waiting at least 3 months for the results to settle. At that point it will be possible to determine whether you may need ptosis revision surgery on the right side or not.

A repeat blepharoplasty would not be necessary. 

Hope this helps

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Six days out from surgery for ptosis and dermatochalasis?

+1

Whether it is breasts or eyelids, keep in mind that the two sides are two different operations. Each will heal in its own way. It is a given that one side will swell more, one side will have more bruising, one side will heal faster, etc.  I suggest you stay away from your mirror and let Mother Nature do her thing - you will not see the final result for months. All the best.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

+1

As you stated "six days" only!!! Very early in healing phase. Best to have twice weekly follow up with your chosen surgeon../////

AT 6 days after eyelid surgery you may notice asymmetries.

+1

Full healing takes at least 4-6 months, and you should notice changes as you heal. The right lid does appear low, but this can be due to edema or swelling of the muscle under the skin.  So give it time to heal.  If one lid is still lower, there are options to help elevate it more which you can discuss with your surgeon.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Recovery

+1

You are still very early in the recovery process, and have a lot of edema.  The swelling is most likely causing the asymmetric appearance that you are worried about.  It can even cause a degree of ptosis in the early recovery period.  Be patient and allow several weeks to pass prior to making a judgement on the success of your surgery.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possibly you will be correct.

+1

However, it is much too early to know.  Often just a little extra swelling on one side can account for this.  With healing this can easily correct itself to the point where one may not notice any asymmetry.  For this reason, one has to be very patient after ptosis surgery.  How patient?  Literally it can be 6 to 12 months before the eyelid are truly healed and one can fairly judge the result.  Trying to make this decision too soon can be the cause of hasty revisional surgery that may actually have been completely unnecessary if one has simply been sufficiently patient.  More surgery on the eyelids may actually make them worse so patient is the most prudent course.