How many days should I expect to be in the hospital following the umbilical hernia surgery?

Umbilical hernia repair

+1

is considered outpatient surgery in America and you are discharged home the same day. If you were considering a tummy tuck, consider doing both at the same time.

Umbilical hernia repair

+1

If you are having an umbilical hernia repair alone, without any other procedures, you could go home the day of surgery.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia repaire. Outpatient.

+1

Umbilical hernia repaire is an outpatient procedure in most cases. This assumes that it is not being done with other procedures. It also assumes that the patient does not have other health issues that require an overnight hospital stay.

Said Samra, MD
Holmdel Plastic Surgeon

Do you need to stay in the Hospital for Umbilical Hernia Repair?

+1

In general, umbilical hernia surgery is an outpatient surgical procedure that can be performed by a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon (such as myself) that is also board certified in general surgery .

Depending on your health and the extent of the procedure or size of the hernia, you may require an overnight stay in some cases. When I find a small umbilical hernia during an examination for tummy tuck surgery, I usually recommend repair at the same time. The procedure to reduce and fix the hernia (small tear in the muscle fascia) is performed when tightening the abdominal muscles during the plication portion of the tummy tuck.

This portion is billed to insurance in many circumstances or I charge a flat fee to repair the hernia for patients whose insurance deductable is too high. Hope this helps.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

+1

In most cases, umbilical hernia repair is an outpatient procedure meaning that you go home the same day.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical Hernia Surgery

+1

Generally speaking, umbilical hernia surgery is outpatient surgery and is usually performed by a general surgeon. If performed in combination with a tummy tuck, your plastic surgeon can also perform this repair. Depending on your health and the extent of tummy tuck necessary, you may require an overnight stay.

Paul S. Gill, MD