6 days after Rhinoplasty. Columella seems off center and nose very upturned. Is this likely to be permanent?

I had a rhinoplasty performed to refine a bulbous, droopy tip and minor deviated septum. I am still wearing tape and a cast, but beginning to get nervous because my nose seems very upturned. From head-on, you can see underneath my columella (including my stitches). Also, my columella seems to be off-center. I still have tubes in my nose, packing and my face is swollen. Is it likely these things will be permanent? Thank you!

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1
At only six days out from surgery you really cannot judge anything.  Swelling will typically cause the nose to look asymmetric (uneven).  The external cast and internal doyle splints may also cause distortion.  Allow yourself time to heal, which takes up to one year.  Once the surgeon removes the external cast and doyle splints, and a few months pass for the major swelling to resolve, you will have a much better idea of what the final result will look like.  Good Luck

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too early to judge

+1
If you still have the cast on, You Probably Are Not Looking at Your Nose in a Natural Position. It Takes up to a Year to Have the Final Result from Your Rhinoplasty. Therefore I Wouldn't Get Too Anxious about the Results the Sure You Will Have a Great Final Result

Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Jupiter Facial Plastic Surgeon

6 days is way too early to judge

+1
Hi Adele9. In general all post op patients feel anxious as you do. The nose does not even start to decrease in swelling for a while. In general I tell my patients that after 3 weeks most of the acute swelling has decreased (80%) is this is a primary rhinoplasty. It takes, however at least three months for another 10% of the swelling to dissipate. It truly does take 6 months to a year for that last 10% to go away. Be patient. Regular visits with your surgeon can help you through this time. Good luck to you!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

6 days after rhinoplasty. Columella seems off center and nose very upturned. Is this likely to be permanent?

+1
It is not abnormal for the tip to be turned up after surgery. It generally relaxes to its final position around 2 weeks post-op. This can sometimes take longer depending on the patient. In general, swelling after surgery can give the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. 6 days is still very soon after your surgery. I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal, and following up with your surgeon regarding any immediate post-operative concerns. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Early...

+1
Give it time, you are literally (by the sound of it) just in the first week or so. Sometimes it looks like its overcorrected, but we often do that on purpose. 

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columella off center.

+1
You are way to early in your recovery to be inspecting yourself so closely. You are likely very swollen and distorted. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon when you come in for cast removal.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon