2 Days After Mastopexy and a Breast Augmentation; Hematoma Maybe Seroma? (photo)

I say maybe seroma because I have a lot of fluid draining still. Today 6-21-12 I got freaked out after squeezing several blood clots. This is in the area under my arm pit. My surgeon also removed the extra skin that I had after losing 150lbs. I have about a dime size hole that I know will need packing but he wants all the draining to stop first. I don’t think he knew I had blood clots because neither did I. I was trying to get all the fluid out since it not coming out like blood as it was before

Seroma After Breasts Augmentation/Mastopexy?

+3

Thank you for the question and picture.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to diagnose and treat the concerns you are having. Seromas  are not uncommon in the area where you have had work done. Don't be surprised if a fluid accumulation occurs that may need to be drained for you.

Keep close follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Close observation by plastic surgeon

+2

Whenever there is a hematoma there is inevitably also a seroma since that is part of the process that the body uses to break up and absorb the hematoma.  The options are really only two: to wait and have your body take care of it or to go back in and washout the area.  Your plastic surgeon will be the best at determining which of these methods is the ideal treatment for you.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Fluid Accumulation

+2

This is a hematoma because seromas don't occur for at least a week to two weeks after surgery.  It appears that your treatment of the problem is fine. Leave the area open and allow it to drain.  In some instances a vacuum removal of the hematoma and the placement of a drain would be appropriate.  Good Luck.

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

2 Days After Mastopexy and a Breast Augmentation; Hematoma Maybe Seroma?

+2

Based solely upon the description and one posted photo I believe you have/had a lateral hematoma. It has been drained manually but the thought of a drainage system could/should be considered. 

Swelling and bruising after breast surgery

+2

From the picture you may have a hematoma or a seroma.  The issue will be resolved when your plastic surgeon examines you.  It is usually fairly easy to aspirate the collection of fluid or blood that has occurred.  This can almost always be done under local anesthesia in the office.  Sometimes 2 or 3 aspirations are necessary, but the problem tends to resolve without long term trouble. It the breast itself is markedly swollen, treatment may be more complex.and require a trip to the operating room.  Make sure you are evaluated promptly by your plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

John Q. Cook, MD

Hematoma?

+2

It sounds like from your description and your picture that you had a hematoma. Your surgeon is the best one to offer treatment and post-op care.  Good luck.

Seroma or hematoma

+2
Yes, you could have either but you could also have passed clots. Drainage can occur after this procedure and this is not an indicator of infection in and of itself. If your surgken determines that there is a fluid or blood collection, he could drain it and use a surgical drain thereafter while covering you with antibiotics. If you passed clots, then this is something you should report to your surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hematoma after mastopexy

+2

From the history and the photo you provided, it is most likely to have a hematoma. The right person to confirm that is your plastic surgeon. I suggest you contact him and if there is more collection, then it has to be evacuated.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Possible Hematoma After Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear Nancy,

Without a physical examination it is hard to provide you with an accurate diagnosis but from the photo you have attached it seems that you have a hematoma rather than a seroma.

I advise you to have your surgeon physically examine the area as you will need him/her to drain it. Your body may not have the ability to take care of it and it may cause infection.

Best of wishes to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Hematoma after lift/aug

+1

Hi, from the picture it looks like you may have a hematoma so please do not try to drain it yourself and call your surgeon as soon as possible to get evaluated. seromas and hematomas have to be drained otherwise they can get infected.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS