Same Day Breast Augmentation in Tijuana

Does this video bother the experts on realself as much as it did for me?

How does she get aftercare should she need it that night?

Mexican Breast Augmentation and no aftercare: may save a buck or two, but is Russian Roulette with your result (and maybe life)!

+3

There are good surgeons in many countries, but why even consider going elsewhere (Mexico) for elective surgery? Better or more experienced surgeons? Hospitals or clinics or offices with more up-to-date, safe, and certified facilities and staff? Better pre-op information or post-op care and follow-up?

Of course, none of these was received, just savings of a few lousy bucks!  . . . and all for a surgeon who cares about his patient so much that he has her driven back across the border and "dropped off" while still obviously sedated and groggy! And is dumb enough to BRAG about it on You Tube!

Who is going to check her incisions (or take sutures out, if that is needed)? How about show her how to avoid capsular contracture, advise her on exercise, bra wearing (or not), implant movement exercises, activities, or answer any questions about pain, redness, swelling, or asymmetry? Did she "go for" the cheap saline implants as well?  Who takes care of deflation, bleeding, malposition, rippling, or improper implant fill? What manufacturer's implants were used? Do they honor their warranty in another country?

Maybe she thought she could get all the answers to her questions here on RealSelf! But this answer too late for her, it is for those who think she may have had a "good idea!" This is like asking a plastic surgeon here if they will shave off a few bucks from the cost of surgery if they never have to see the patient again? or accept responsibility or malpractice/negligence liability for their work? Do you think that sounds like a good idea?

Oh, and did you hear about the doctor who buries his mistakes?

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation in Mexico same day

+3

When I was a child, there were a number of reports of people looking into the sun until they were blind.  I suppose the light was nice for a time.

If you took a respectable American plastic surgery practice, stripped out the costs of patient protections (malpractice and other insurances), overburdensome patient rights. bothersome sterility and cleanliness standards, need for organizational / pesky governmental oversight (JCAHO, Medicare, OSHA), and the availability of any follow-up care or opportunity for revisions if needed, I suspect the costs would be quite low as well.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Plastic Surgery

+2

Thank you for posting the video. A close friend of mine is a Plastic Surgeon on the border in Texas. He receives several patients a year that are air-ambulanced to his area for care following their Plastic Surgery outside of the States. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Across the Border

+2

The temptations of seeking lower price for cosmetic surgery in another country adds an undesirable level of risk to one's most important asset: health and well-being.

The ability to have accessible follow-up if problems or questions arise post-op must be part of any thoughtful, sensible and wise calculation.

Strange that a hand-held video shot while waiting in a long line of traffic at the Mexico-US border would have any notoriety, other than as a bizarre artifact of our times!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tijuana Breast Augmentation

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

While there may be some reputable surgeons in Tijuana with reasonable experience, as most if not all of my colleagues mentioned, the regulations and standards which US Surgeons must abide by are lacking in Mexico, making these procedures "cheap" comparatively.  However, with that comes a vast disparity in the quality of care, quality of follow-through, and quite often, quality of results. Personally, I would not recommend having surgery in Tijuana. A surgeon only has one chance to perform the surgery correctly the first time.  Cutting corners is never a good idea, and especially when it comes to your health. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Sleazy Ad

+2

This¢ is obviously a sleazy ad for this guy's services.

What are his credentials?  Is he even a doctor?  He is an American, why not practice here - License revoked if ever had one?

I must say, a car interview is unprofessional, he dresses and speaks unprofessionally.  I might consider him to do my lawn, not my wife's breast augmentation.

If you go to this guy, you are foolish.

My 2¢

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast Surgery in Tijuana is like a Box of Chocolates. You never know whatcha gonna get...

+2

The TOP surgeons in Mexico, Brazil and other countries are in NO WAY inferior to their American colleagues. However, it is EXTREMELY doubtful that a top Mexican surgeon would employ "Iggy the used car salesman" as a clumsy shill to sell his services on YouTube. As to "Heather" giving her opinion on the fitness of the "hospital" she was operated on, you might as well ask me for my opinions on tuning NASCAR race car engines (of which I know NOTHING).

When everything goes well, it is nice and you save a few thousand dollars (minus a few buck for Iggy, of course) but when you have complications, any complications, the nightmare begins and any savings you had by going abroad will vanish in your first visit to the ER. You will find it harder finding Plastic surgeons willing to risk taking you on to correct complications not of their own and especially by surgeons outside this country.

Consider surgery abroad very carefully.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Medical Tourism: when its good it's good but when its bad it can be really bad

+2

Medical Tourism: when its good it can be good but when its bad it can be really bad. Saving money is about the only benefit. You are not traveling there because they provide a unique service that is not offered here.  However, it a complication occurs, you may be on your own.

Breast augmentation in Tijuana - how silly

+2

It is so short-sighted to think that all that matters is the price and that you can go cheap and get the best result.  Who will take care of her IF she has a complication like a hematoma (can happen in the first 2 weeks after surgery), an infection, a capsular contracture, or for any other reason needs a revision for any issue like size?  Not the guy in TJ that's for sure!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Medical Tourism - A Dangerous Trade

+1

The True Cost of Medical Tourism
Medical tourism has becoming increasingly popular in recent years; patients have been flying out of the U.S. for plastic surgery, lured by lower prices.Tijuana Mexico is the most popular place for patients from Southern California to go to - sometimes with reasonable results and sometimes with medical disasters. As a practicing Surgeon in Southern California - I am in the position to see many of these problems and try to reverse deformities that often can't be totally corrected

Interestingly, a parallel trend has also appeared: plastic surgeons in the United States are finding themselves treating an increasing number of patients who plastic surgery abroad, correcting complications and errors. A survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that 80% of the responding doctors had treated American medical tourists for complications including infection, contour abnormalities, and hematoma.
Medical tourists are often led to believe that they will receive the same quality of care for a lower price in a foreign clinic. But while it is true that the cost of plastic surgery in some foreign countries is lower, this is often because the quality of care and surgery is compromised. Such patients also seem to neglect the possibility of complications and the need for a follow-up visit.
In addition to the risks posed by sub-standard medical care abroad, medical tourists must consider the risks of injections and implants in other countries. The recent crisis with French breast implant maker Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) exemplifies this problem. PIP used industrial- rather than medical-grade silicone on their implants in an effort to reduce costs, a measure which probably increased the danger of rupture. PIP implants have not been used in the United States for many years.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS