On Day 9 After my Facelift, I Look Very Tight and Do Not Look Natural. I Still Have Swelling in my Neck (2 Lumps on Both Sides)?

Is that normal? Can I really look natural here in a few days?

Facelift should look tight at 9 days

+4

Thank you for your question.  I always tell my patients that I want them to look and feel too tight early after there facelift because once the post operative swelling decreases I do not want him to lose the skin tightening benefit of there facelift.  Normally patients feel too tight for the first 10 days to 2 weeks after surgery.

Be certain to see your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  The lumps that you mentioned in your neck should be examined to make certain that you do not have a hematoma or collection of blood and fluid in the next skin.

Hopefully in 2-3 weeks for face will begin to look natural and normal again as long as the direct and of pole of the fascial tissues is in the appropriate direction for your unique face.

Tightness and swelling are common after facelifts

+2

Hi ittybit.  Your symptoms do not sound unusual, but it is hard to judge without seeing pictures.  I ask my patients to sleep upright for the first 3 nights after surgery so the postoperative swelling drains to the back.  I also ask them to avoid salty foods which can cause fluid retention.   If your problems persist, you should consult your plastic surgeon.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Facelift tight at 9 days

+2

9 days is too early to be looking into the mirror and expecting to like your results.  give it more time.  check back with us at a month and let us know what you think

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Tightness after facelift

+1

Swelling after a facelift usually reaches a peak at 48 hours and begins to slowly go down. Swelling after the 8 hours if associated with heat, redness, or pain could indicate an infection and should be checked by your doctor immediately. Swelling present when the dressing is removed could be a hematoma, a collection of blood.If small they usually are absobed by the body. If larger they may require draining. Probably one of the most common causes of swelling after the first 48 hours is diet related. I encourage patients to follow a low salt diet for the first two weeks. If a patient has a salty meal, they will usually swell up. This can lead to an unnatural look. Faces often feel unnatural because of the temporary numbness which follows facelifting. As the feeling returns , patients often feel more comfortable. You should allow at least 6 months to a year to see the final results.

The two lumps on the side of the neck are often the salivary glands, which drop and become visible over time. I do not recommend removing them because as we get older the mouth tends to dries out. Removing them would accelerate this.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

9 Days after facelift

+1

9 days is still soon after your surgery, and it is not abnormal to still have a considerable amount of swelling that can influence the appearance of your result. The side effects of a facelift may include the following:

1) Swelling
2) Bruising
3) Bleeding
4) Asymmetry

The lumps you mentioned may be due to swelling. I would recommend following up with your surgeon and having an exam so they can ensure you are healing properly. It may take more than a few days before your swelling subsides. Depending on the patient, complete healing can take a few months. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your recovery.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Recovery

+1

You are very early in your recovery.  Your results will continue to improve and look more natural with time.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

9 Days Post Op Tightness

+1

9 days post facelift surgery is usually too early to tell what your final result will look like. However, it is typical to feel and look tight at this time in your recovery. Make sure that you are following the PC's post op instructions and if the tightness becomes very uncomfortable,  contact your PC.  All the best.

Alexander Golger, MD

Face lift tight at day 9

+1

Thank you for asking about your face lift tightness 9 days after surgery.

1. This is normal.
  2. It takes 2 weeks after a face lift swelling to feel comfortable in public.
  3. It takes 6 months to see the final face lift result.
  4. The lumps in the neck - check with your surgeon to be sure this is not fluid.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Patients will have considerable swelling and tightness nine days after facelift.

+1

The swelling and discomfort you are experiencing is quite normal. The lumps however should be pointed out to the plastic surgeon as a might be fluid collections that would benefit by being drained.

Swelling after facelift? How long does it last?

+1

Dear Ittybit,

Thank you for your post.  It depends on what type of facelift you had, but in general, a SMAS facelift should have some swelling for at least 2 weeks.  This can be variable, and can be asymmetric.  The photo that I attached had a lady with swelling for three weeks, and she was initally distraught about the swelling, but was very happy once the swelling was gone.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon