Daughters Visible Scalp Scar?

When my now 13 year old daughter was 1, she had a crainiotomy for a blocked ventricle. Her health is now fine, but she is left with a visible, slightly raised while scar (3 inches by 1/2 inch) on her scalp. Can the appearance be minimized? What is the best age?

Treatment of scalp scar

+1
I think we're all speaking in the dark without a photo. Scars can be hypertrophic, spread, hypo- or hyperpigmented, etc. You haven't stated whether there is hair loss. Please post some photos so we can address the actual, not conjectured, deformity.

Options for Scar Revision

+1

Hi K.  There are a few options.  If the scar is raised, we would recommend Kenalog (steroid) injections to flatten it.  Once flattened, you have a couple options for camouflage.  We have had good luck referring to a permanent makeup artist that tattoos fake hair onto the scalp.  For this it's very important to see their work ahead of time and this particular person works with plastic surgeons who have scar patients.

Alternatively, you could consider hair transplant in the are that is not growing hair.  Sometimes hair transplant involves another scar to harvest the hair so be sure to check on this issue before considering the option.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Scalp scars and revision scar surgery

+1

This is an alopecic scar with a likelihood that there is hair loss in the area from the surgery. Microtransplant of hair can often help these scars. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Improvement of Scalp Scar

+1

It sounds like from the description that the scar is hypertrophic (overgrown) as opposed to indented/depressed. There are treatment options that can improve this type of scar, the first of which I would recommend would be cortisone injections. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD