Daughter Had Tummy Tuck 16 Days Ago: Open Wound Now About 8 by 6 Inches

went to er last night and was admitted what went wrong?

Open Wound after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Unfortunately,  this type of problem may develop even when nothing “went wrong”. I would suggest,  assuming you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon,  that you continue to follow-up with him/her.  I am sure your plastic surgeon will work diligently to get your daughter through this complication and achieve her goals.

Sorry to hear of your daughter's plight

+1

Abdominoplasty ("tummy tuck") is a major surgery with potential serious complications.  Fortunately they are relatively infrequent and can be managed well if treated early and properly.  At two weeks, the wound strength is based soley on the sutures that were placed, as the tissues have not healed sufficiently to stand up to tension forces associated with full activities (it can take 6 weeks or more to achieve very strong healing).

There may have been a collection of blood or fluid, infection or possibly loss of blood flow to the area that led to the opening of the wound.  Fortunately she is in the hospital where hopefully her surgeon can care for her complication and see that she heals well eventually.     

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon