My Daughter Has a Small Lipoma Near Her Left Eye. How Much Would It Cost to Have It Removed? Would Insurance Cover It?

Our 2 year old daughter has a lipoma near her eye. We noticed it when she was about 6 months old. We are worried about it affecting her vision & would like to have it removed. Will we need to take her to a plastic surgeon to remove it? Would this be covered by insurance? How much would it cost if not??

Removing mass close to 2 year-old's eye

+1

I agree with Dr. Allen that one can't presume that the growth is a lipoma. Consulting with a dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon would allow for a better assessment of what the growth is.

In my experience growths in children this age (and by the eye) are typically covered by insurance. The doctor you visit with can give you a better idea about this though.

Lipoma

+1

It is rare to have a lipoma starting at age 6 months.

This could be a Hemangioma. You need to see a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON(AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY), For proper diagnosis and treatment

2 year old with lipoma

+1

This may or may not be a lipoma. First you need to see a dermatologist to see what they think it is . Then if surgery is needed you will likely need to have her under general anesthesia and this is usually done by a facial plastic surgeon, an oculoplastic surgeon or a general plastic surgeon.  Your dermatologist should be able to advise you

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist