Latisse for 13 Year Old Lash-Picker?

My Daughter Has Little to No Eyelashes Due to Picking Would Latisse Work for Her She is 13

The Use of Latisse for a 13 Year Old Lash-Picker

+1

Your daughter has a psychiatric condition. Using Latisse will not change this behavior. Latisse acts by prolonging the growth phase of lash growth not by sprouting lashes which were picked off. I would strongly recommend you consider the advice of a Pediatric Psychiatrist. Once the condition has improved or corrected, then it may be time to consider its use.

Latisse for Eyelash Picking

+1

Latisse works by causing eyelashes to grow longer and thicker but will obviously not work if the eyelashes are not allowed to grow due to picking. Please discuss this problem with her pediatrician to see if counseling/psychiatric evaluation would be apropriate for her.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Picking Eyelashes May Be Psychological In Nature

+1

Latisse is unlikely to work for your daughter's condition. I would certainly suggest speaking with your pediatrician or a child psychologist/psychiatrist as hair pulling can indicate a psychiatric condition called trichotillomania

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lash picking is a type of trichotillomania

+1

Picking out any kind of body hair ( scalp, eyebrows, eyelashes, beard hair) that you know you should not do but cannot keep yourself from doing it , is called trichotillomania.  Trichotillomania is not uncommon in children but unfortunately using Latisse would not help.  Latisse allows the hairs to grow longer, but if they are not there to begin with, would be a wasted effort.  A consultation with a child psychiatrist would most likely be helpful.

Julie E. Voss, MD
Kirkland Dermatologic Surgeon