Did I Ruin Things? Was Told I Could Wear Glasses Driving, Bridge is Sore to the Touch?

After many years of "hiding" my big bumpy nose I finally took the plunge and had my Rhinoplasty, but I have also been a smoker for most of my life, and did not quit. So now, although my nose looks tons better than before, 9, to almost 10 months post-op the left side on the bridge of my nose is still sore to the touch, actually, very sore to the touch. Some silly nurse told me I could wear my driving glasses only weeks after my surgery, so I did. Did I ruin things here? :(

Wearing Eyeglasses After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Suzy,

Usually, patients wear their eyeglasses after a rhinoplasty with taped bridges to their foreheads for the first 3-4 weeks. 

Then, wearing eyeglasses of reasonable a weight and comfort fit will not affect the results of the surgery.

I recommend that you consult with your surgeon for a physical examination to assess your current status and provide you with possible solutions.

The best of luck to you and thank you for your questions.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Glasses today

+1

After nine to ten months your nose can bear the weight of glasses.  Have your rhinoplastic surgeon take a good look inside and out.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glasses Ok after Rhinoplasty

+1

Glasses aren't generally enough weight or  force to do any damage to the nose following Rhinoplasty.  I let patients wear them once the cast comes off.  Of course they may cause a little soreness if they're resting on your nose immediately after surgery.  You should see your surgeon for an exam if you're concerned. 

Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ruining Your Rhinoplasty Result By Wearing Glasses Unlikely

+1

Affecting your nose is a long-term negative way by wearing glasses is very unlikely. I usually tell people to refrain from wearing heavy glasses for a period of 1-2months but this is mostly a comfort thing. If patients need to wear glasses during that time period, I have them keep their plastic splint to use as a buffer between the nose pads on the glasses and the nasal skin. The nasal skin has a tendency to be sensitive to the touch and a bit swollen. Therefore these pads can dig in and create impressions that go away when the pressure is not there (think: lines that develop on your face when you sleep directly on it).

As for the pain, discuss this with your physician. It is pretty rare to have long-term nasal pain from rhinoplasty but each patient heals slightly differently.

Michael Kim, MD 

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Did I rin my nose wearing glasses too soon?

+1

Probably not. I tell patients not to wear glasses for 2 months but I dont have any scientific knowledge to back it up.I don think you ruined anything. About the pain you should see your surgeon