Melasma Upper Lip

My skin around my upper lip is starting to darken. Is this a symptom of melasma?

Melasma and Hyperpigmentation; Causes of Pigmentation and Skin Darkening

+4

Melasma is characterized by an uneven and patchy pigmentation that arises from a variety of causes, including:

• Genetics
  • Hormones
  • Sun Exposure
  • Chronic or active inflammation

Unlike typical sun-induced suntans, hyperpigmentation from melasma is not transient. The discoloration is chronic and progressive. The pigmentation results from a genetically-determined hypersensitivity of receptors on the melanocytes on certain key areas of the face, including the jawlines, forehead, and cheeks.

The key element of melasma is that it does not subside with time. The discoloration is patchy and undermines the even complexion of one's native skin color. From a clinical perspective, the melasma is a significant sign of facial aging and reduces the smoothness of color that we are born with.

A basic clinical analysis is made by analyzing one's native skin tone and determining the severity of overlying pathologic pigmentation.

Melasma on the Upper Lip

+1

Melasma is a condition of excessive pigmentation on the face, and usually in women.  It can occur anywhere, but common areas are the forehead, cheeks, and upper lip.  You should consult a dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment options.  

Timothy G. Rodgers, MD
Frisco Dermatologist