Will There Be Any Scaring from Upper Eyelid Surgery on Dark Skin?

As a young child I had allergies which caused me to rub my right eye lid; I am now over 50 and can see the effects of rubbing my lid... I also would like to know if it is at all possible to get the one eye done as oppose to both eyes do to the out of pocket expense?

Scars following eyelid surgery

+1

Generally speaking upper eyelid scars heal amazingly well in all skin types.  The incision is designed to be placed in the eyelid crease so that when the eyes are open they are not visible.  With a little makeup the eyes will have a beautiful youthful attractive appearance.

I would not recommend performing an upper Blepharoplasty  only on one side.  This will create significant difference in the appearance of the eyelids and the appearance of the eyes overall.  Don't skimp on your eyelid enhancement.

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid scars

+1

Upper eyelid scars usually heal quite nicely in the majority of patients even with darker skin tones. 

Scarring in darker skinned patients after eyelid surgery

+1

Usually darker-skinned patients' scars heal without incident after upper blepharoplasty.

If a patient has a tendency toward hyperpigmented scarring (dark scars), then I usually recommend pre-treatment with hydroquinone cream for several weeks pre-op and close follow-up afterward to look for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

As for getting just one eyelid done, I wouldn't recommend it. It's even harder to acheive symmetry that way and the cost savings would be negligible. Remember, one eyelid or two it's still the same time in the office for pre-op and post-op visits (that's built into the cost), the same time in the recovery room (also in the cost), the same instrument pans to open up in the O.R. (also in the cost), the same scrub and circulating nurses in the O.R., etc., etc. The tiny difference in O.R. time would barely affect the cost.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark Upper Eyelid Skin Heals Well After Blepharoplasty

+1

Hi,

It is safe to make incisions on dark skin for upper blepharoplasty as long as your eyelid surgeon is qualified and knows how to place the incision and close it.  It is possible to get one eye done, but would recommend doing both.  Then again, eye patches are always an option.

Choose your eye lid surgeon carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P