Cynosure for Hair Under Chin? (Dark-Skinned African American Female)

I am a dark skin african american female. I have a small to moderate amount of black hairs underneath my chin. I heard that lasers may scar or burn persons with darker complexions. A determalogist recommended cynosure, I'm interested but scared of scars or burns and I would like some other opinions.

Great choice of lasers!!

+2

I have been using Cynosure lasers for a couple of years now and it works great on all skin types, including dark African American skin.  It is really important that the laser operator is fully aware and understands all the settings.  I really believe that you will have great results with 3-5 treatments, about one month apart.  Good luck!

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Nd Yag laser hair removal for dark skin

+1

The Cynosure Apogee laser is a NeoDynium Yag laser, 1064nm. wavelength. This manufacturer, and others that have the same wavelength, provide a safer technology for laser hair removal in patients with skin of color.  Shorter wavelengths such as in the Alexandrite and Light Sheer diode laser might have their energies preferentially absorbed by the pigmented epidermis rather than the hair follicle's pigment in the dermis. The energy could then provide unwanted heat in the skin surface and cause blisters and pigmentation concerns and even scarring.  There are risks even with all Neo Dynyium Yag lasers so you should see an experienced provider.

Ronald Shelton, MD