Dark Scar from Mole Removal on Buttocks, How Can It Be Treated? (photo)

About four months ago, I had a mole from my left buttock removed by a dermatologist. Now there's a purplish scar after it has healed. At first it was much darker but it has faded a little bit but it is still there. Will that ever go away? If not, what are my options to improve its appearance or get rid of it? Thank you.

Mole removal scars can be treated with laser

+1

This mole removal scar can best be treated with Melaquin PM for two weeks, followed by pulsed dye laser to improve redness. 

How long for scars to heal

+1

Your scar appears to have resulted from a "shave removal" of your mole. The mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective to remove moles and typically leaves a minimal scar. I always tell my patients the color in the scar may take up to a year to fully fade so you should give it quite a bit more time before considering any other treatments. Scar fading creams really do not hasten the healing process and are a waste of money.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of Dark Scar after Mole Removal

+1

Whether or not the dark scar persists is dependent upon what is causing it.

From your description it might be the dilated blood vessels in the scar causing it. If this is the case, it will likely improve with time. The pinkness (or purple color in this case) is generally the last thing to improve on the scar. It tends to gradually fade out. Since you say it seems to have improved, there is a good chance that it will improve with time.If it doesn't, the pulsed dye laser is sometimes used to improve the scar. It takes about 6-12 months to get the final cosmetic result from any surgical procedure so it's still early.

If the color is caused by pigment (i.e. some of the mole left behind), it may not resolve completely, but could benenfit from certain procedures such as cryotherapy or laser treatment.

Best option is to return to the doctor who performed the surgery and figure out which of the above is causing it and what can be expected. Best of luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD