What Can I Do About These Dark Pigmented Knees

I have had this issue with my knees for the past 6months its become dry and darker then the rest of my body. I'm very fair skin African American so its extremely noticeable and affecting my social life and relationships and would like it fixed. I've tried obagi and so many lightening creams which don't have much effect I am lookin at chemical peels or lasers to see if this can once and for all be fixed. I would like to enjoy being a woman one of these days.

Treating Dark Pigmented Knees

+1

Thank you for your question. You should see a board certified dermatologist to discuss your options. There are certain lotions like glycolic lotion that can exfoliate and help to lighten the affected area. Lasers may also help to even out the pigmentation however you will need multiple treatments. Sun exposure can also increase pigmentation making your knees appear darker so it's important to use an sunscreen SPF 30 with zinc oxide and to avoid sun exposure when you can. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist  for the most effective and safe treatment options. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Lightening dark knees

+1

Don't despair.  I think there is help available.  Certainly, in this area, one can not be too aggressive with treatment.  Nonetheless, I think that light chemical peels, coupled with a daily routine, might make a substantial improvement.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon