I Have Very Dark Hair and Very Light Skin. Which Laser Method Would Be Best for Me?

I have very dark hair, with light Irish skin coloring. Which laser hair removal system would be best for my thick course leg hair?

Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment

+1

Thank you for your question A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. Best of luck!

Laser for Dark Hair, Light Skin

+1

In my opinion, the long pulsed Alexandrite laser would probably be the ideal laser for you.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD

Laser Hair Removal for light skin

+1
There is no one laser that is ideal for all skin colors. You are wise to ask this question. In my practice, we have a laser for light skin and a second laser for dark skin. The alexandrite laser we use has been evaluated as the most effective laser for removing hair. However, this laser is ideal for light skinned individuals.
The long pulsed nd:yag laser we use is ideal for dark skinned individuals. The longer pulse means that the laser energy will be absorbed by the root of the hair and not the surface of the skin. This means laser hair removal will be safer and more effective for dark skinned individuals. While laser hair removal can be performed on virtually any skin color, the color of the hair is the most important factor.
The laser is attracted to the melanin (the dark pigment) in the hair follicle. Thus, darker hair is treated most effectively. If your hair has a blonde, red, or dark gray root, you may not be a good candidate for laser hair removal.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Alexandrite Lasers best for Dark hair, light skin

+1

For you, I would use my Candela GentleLase, a long-pulsed Alexandrite laser (755 nm infra-red laser).  Alexandrite lasers offer the best melanin/pigment absorption of all the hair removal lasers-- so are the most effective lasers in people who are lightly pigmented.   Candela, the laser manufacturer, has a patented cryogen spray cooling system that enables their lasers to be the safest and most effective in the industry.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Laser for dark hair and light skin

+1

In my office we use the GentleMAX alexandrite laser by Candela. Light skin with dark hair is ideal for hair removal with this laser. Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that penetrates deep into the skin where it delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat. Lighter colored skin allows the light energy to pass through so it can be absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles. This will destroy numerous follicles at a time and leave the surrounding skin unaffected.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser hair with dark hair and light skin are the best candidates

+1

I love the Candela laser for laser hair removal.  The idea candidate has dark hair and light skin, esp nice white skin of Irish descent.  You should have excellent results!

Michele S. Green, MD