Can a Dark Flat Mole Right on the Mucosal Lip Tissue Be Removed by Q Switch Laser?

I have a round dark flat mole right on my lip. What are my options of removing with minimal scar. How much would this cost?

Removing moles with a laser

+2

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole on lip

+1

It is best advised to have this lesion biopsied prior to doing any treatment.  If the lesion is small enough, a better option may be to have the entire lesion completely excised.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Biopsy first; lip heals very well

+1

As others have mentioned, it is always best to make sure the lesion looks benign microscopically as well as clinically.  If it is large, it can be biopsied and the rest treated with laser.  However, if it is small, the whole lesion can probably be removed by biopsy, and a shallow biopsy of the lip heals very well and quickly.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

It's always best to have it looked at by a derm path

+1

Even though you may think the mole is benign, it's always best to have something like this removed as a small shave biopsy - no stitches or anything - and have it sent to a lab for review. Using a laser, while in theory can result in a cleaner removal, you never have the ability to have the spot reviewed for possible pre-cancer or other abnormalities. Particularly when moles are dark and near the lips, nose, ears, hands, and toes, you need to have them sent to lab. A shave biopsy should cost a few hundred dollars at most, and having the assurance that nothing was wrong with the site will be worth it.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Switched lasers work great

+1

Q switched lasers are great at removing pigmented mucosal lesions. Just make sure an experienced dermatologist diagnoses the lesion as benign before it is layered.

Beth Lertzman, MD
Rochester Dermatologic Surgeon