Have dark circles with swelling under eyes after Botox injection, had a nose fracture 4 weeks ago.

It's been now a little over four weeks since I fractured my nose, about a week ago I had botox injections for the wrinkles around my eyes, could the past nose fracture hinder the benefits of botox. The same surgeon treated me with both. I feel as if I look worse now.

Dark circles under eyes can be from fractured nose not botox

+1

I doubt the dark circles of the lower eyelids are from bruising after the botox but certainly can be caused by the nose surgery.

Botox and swelling

+1

If Botox is injected too deeply for crow's feet, it can slow down the muscle pump under the eye resulting in some puffiness.  If you already had puffiness from your fracture, Botox can make it worse, but you would still have improvement of the wrinkles.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and nose fracture

+1

I would say this possibly wasn't an ideal time for the Botox. Considering the nose fracture led to swelling and bruising which you don't have normally, some of the treated areas with the Botox may not actually be areas that needed treatment for you normally. Bruising does look worse before it looks better, so that's not surprising that it's bothering you, but the fracture itself won't hinder the affects of Botox.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

The Swelling May Be Due To Lower Eyelid Muscle Paralysis From The Botox.

+1

This will definitely worse the appearance of dark circles.  Generally lower eyelid botox is not a good idea.  This method has largely been replaced with under eye filling with hyaluronic acid gel fillers like Restylane.  Persistent swelling is entirely expected after a nasal fracture and yes this could effect the lower eyelid area as well.  However, if the swelling got worse 3-4 days after the botox, this treatment is probably responsible.

Botox and fracture

+1

First question – why Botox so close to a fractured area when there is still swelling and healing to be done?  I would have waited to do the Botox until you were well healed – just my choice. So the answer is possibly yes – or you are more focused on your dark circles now, and they may have been there for a long time. So let things heal and then deal with whatever problems you have one by now.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon