Dark Circles and Eyebags Not Just Under Eyes, but Around Eyes?

Hi there. I am a twenty-three year old female who recently developed bags under the eyes approximately two months ago. The thing is .. I can slightly see them going around the eye as well to both corners, though it is not really visible. I was diagnosed with having a thyroid problem back in 2004, and am wondering if this has something to do with it. I have consulted with two plastic surgeons; One said Juvederm Ultra Plus, the other said nothing on the account of being too young as well as finances. What can I do? Thank you!

Hollow appearing eyes

+2

You have a very pretty face and should not have surgery.

However, if the hollow appearance did bother you, and you had a medical examination for things like an overactive thyroid that was normal, you might consider hyaluronic acid fillers around the eyes.

Generally Prevelle, Restylane and Juvederm are the best fillers for this area. They should be best performed by a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist with experience and interest in injectables around the eye. It is a very tricky area and very near some important structures.

Dark circles of the eyes

+2

You appear to have attractive eyes with some hollowing of the lower lid and tear trough. I do not believe that your thyroid is contributing to this situation however, thyroid function tests would "rule out" any thyroid issues.

Juvederm or Restylane would be fine for these areas. You can ask if they have the 1/2 cc syringes for filler injection. You may need more than this amount of filler, but, you may be quite pleased with your eyelids and it will save you some money.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty surgery not best optiion for dark circles

+1
I concur with most of the other surgeons who have answered your question. No surgery now! You need to see your treating physician for your thyroid condition and make sure this is under control. In the future a lower lid transconjetival blepharolplasty may be needed if you still have recurring lower lid fat and bags. Best regards and get into your physicians office soon!

Michael Elam, MD

Eyelid surgery

+1

Stay away from a plastic surgeon that wants to operate. The very first thing that should be done is normalize your thyroid hormone levels. That can take 6 weeks or longer. After that, then is the time to evaluate your eyes. You may find you need absolutely nothing done. If anything, likely only a small amount of dermal filler will be necessary.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable Fillers work well to improve the appearance lower eyelid bags.

+1

You can have the appearance of your lower eyelid bags reduced with a painless Injectable Filler treatment. This works by filling the groove that forms between your lower eyelid and cheek, and making the transition less noticeable.

You should consult a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced with the art of filling this delicate area. I almost never remove lower eyelid fat anymore since it can lead to a hollow, operated appearance.

I doubt your "thyroid problem" is contributing to the appearance of your lower eyelids. If you were diagnosed with hyperthyroidism or Grave's Disease (both cases of overactive thyroid), then by all means get your thyroid blood levels rechecked and have a discussion with your internist or endocrinologist.

Filling lower eyelid grooves is one of the most common Injectable Filler procedures I perform. Patient satisfaction is very high. I've attached a link to my Injectable Filler photos for your perusal.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark circles/eyebags not just under eyes, but around eyes?

+1

Hi Etherealism,

Definition of ethereal: extremely delicate or refined: ethereal beauty.

Let's keep you that way. If you have just noticed the "bags" over just the last two months, and you have had thyroid problem in the past, it is time to recheck your thyroid hormone, and stay away from the plastic surgeons, especially those who want to operate.

Once you know that your thyroid is normal, a small amount of properly placed Restylane will fill any hollows under your eyes. I would avoid Juvederm as it sometimes will result in puffiness in the ethereal lower lid area.

Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Under eye filler is the treatment of choice

+1

Dear Eathereal

First don't purse your lips that way. You are doing it to highlight the under eye circles by stretching down the cheek. This will certainly highlight the lower eyelid circles. Fortunately you probably only do this in front of your bathroom mirror.

Do not talk yourself into having surgery. Trust me, your risk of being made to look worse by surgery is probably higher than the chance that it will help you. Having surgery under this type of circumstance puts you at risk of having a life time of cosmetic surgery disability.

I have one of the largest practices of under eye filler treatment if not the largest. I am not a big fan of Juvederm for the under eye area. The "smooth" characteristics of this filler means that it tends to drift once placed in the eyelid. Restylane, the competing hyaluronic acid filler, tends to stay where it is placed. Docs tend to like Juvederm because it has a rebate program that can be combined with BOTOX, breast implants, and skin care products so they get a bigger check back from Allergan at the end of the quarter. To me, this is not a good enough reason to use a product.

I would recommend that you find an eye plastic surgeon who does a lot of this type of service. With enough volume, treatment should last almost 2 years before you really need retreatment.

I don't recommend fillers around the eyes.

+1

You are never too young for lower eyelid bag removal. Make sure your thyroid is normal and speak to a plastic surgeon experienced in eyes. I do not like fillers--too many inexperienced injectors are doing it and getting terrible results around the eyes. Save up your money and have a transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tear troughs

+1

Juvederm or Restylane would help you very much but would need to be repeated about once a year.  If this is okay with you financially, it would be the easiest way to deal with the hollows under your lower lids. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS