Options For Congenital Dark Circles?

I have dark circles under my eyes, I am only 20, so it is only pigmentation that I am concerned with. I've had dark circles all my life, as does my father. I wear concealer on them, but is there anything else I can do? It really affects my self esteem, I'd even be prepared to try surgical options. 

Surgery and Fillers both good options

+1

UR perfect example of a young patient which has signs of aging unrelated to the actual aging process.  This is clearly congenital as one or both of the parents may have a similar feature.  Injecting Restylane in this area is common place with good results that can last for more one year.  Surgically, making an incision on the inner side of the eyelids without any conspicuous scars on the outside will drastically improve the look.  Please find a qualified injector to do the injection in this advanced area.

Baring of the orbital rim can be fixed with lower bleph and midface lift

+1

Congenital baring of the orbital rim as Dr. Steinsapir has explained causes the dark circles. Although fillers like Restylane can help, it needs to be repeated and each time there is risk of under or overfilling, bruising, and irregular or lumpy filling. An extended lower blepharoplasty with midface lift will permanently erase that hollow.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Your dark circles are not pigmentary.

+1

The dark circles are formed where the orbicularis oculi muscle in the lower eyelid inserts by the side of the nose.  There is essentially no fat between the muscle and the skin in this location.  Not only is there a lack of fat just under the skin here compared to say the adjacent cheek, but the skin is back by dark red muscle.  By filling this area with Restylane filler you are likely to experience profound improvement in the appearance of the dark circle without the necessity of surgery.  Treatment effects can last well over a year.