Is It Dangerous to Keep Removing and Inserting Implants into the Nose?

I'm an asian male, early 20s. I was unhappy with th first silicone implant in my nose bridge because it was too high and did not fit with my ethnicity.I had it removed two weeks following surgery. I am looking to wait a while before considering inserting a smaller implant this time around. My question is, what's the side affects of inserting and removing implants multiple times (via closed rhino with no tissue/bone removal)? I guess I am worried that I may have damaged my nose enough already.

Removing and Replacing Nasal Implants

+2

Your original silicone nasal implant was only in place for 2 weeks, so residual scarring should be minimal. As long as you wait until healing is complete your have little additional risk when replacing that implant. I must say that I prefer using the patient's own cartilage when augmenting the Asian nose because the graft becomes integrated into the surrounding tissue and typically lasts a lifetime without risk of movement.

The danger in nasal implants is partly in the the technique

+2

Removing one implant and reinserting another is not in itself dangerous as long as you wait till your nose is healed (if that is all that was done, 6 months at least), and as long as the surgeon places an implant that is not too large and not under tension. 

Do not have an L-shaped implant placed.  This will put tension on your nasal tip and eventually extrude--usually through the tip skin.

I do not use silicone implants because they do not assure a lifetime solution, which your own grafts will do.  However, rib grafts require an experienced surgeon and entail more patient aggravation.  Silicone is easier--at least the day of surgery. 

Find a surgeon whom you trust and listen to his or her advice.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Dangers of multiple revisions with implants

+1

One of the issues that arises with multiple revision surgeries is the decline in skin quality.  Your nose will develop and accumulate scar tissue with each surgery, and the quality of the skin will decrease with each surgery and manipulation.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Many Asians undergo revision rhinoplasty because they were unhappy with the silicone implant.  I prefer using your own cartilage to build up the nose to achieve a natural, balanced appearance to fit the rest of your face.   You don't want to keep undergoing rhinoplasty surgery so you might consider having it done using your own cartilage.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Repeated Surgeries Can Lead To Scar Tissue Over Time

+1

Anytime that you repeatedly violate the tissues, they are going to get more and more damaged, making it harder to get the tissues to heal normally and give you the desired look shape.  This is particularly true for the nose, since the skin is thin on the nose to begin with.  I would advise doing alot of research befor eyour next implant attempt and make sure that the surgeon is comfortable with the procedure.  I hope this helps. 

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Risks in revising nasal implants

+1

Silicone nasal implants have been used safely for many years. There is always a risk of infection with primary insertion or a revision because the implant is a foreign body and late stage infections are not unheard of. However, the implants can be revised safely. It isn't a bad idea to wait for revision, as you are doing, so the edema from the dissection is reduced. Overall, there should not be additional sequelae.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon