Is It Dangerous to Have Multiple Surgeries on Breast? (photo)

I had a lollipop lift and breast augmentation for assymetry and a mild tuberous breast. My plastic surgeon and I decided that doing it in 2 surgeries was best. The results are good, I've come a long way. but my left nipple is a lot smaller and sits lower, it's very noticeable. The scar under my breast has stretched out as well. I'm 16 weeks post op. when I'm a year post op I wanted to fix these little things, but I want to know if its not a good idea to have surgery to my breasts again.

Is It Dangerous to Have Multiple Surgeries on Breast?

+1

You have a very good result considering your preop pictures.  Revision decisions should be made at 1 year.  Your results will continue to change.

Are Minor Revision Surgeries Safe?

+1

Hi Tina,

Thank you for your question and photos.  You have a good result that can improve to a great result with a little revision of your breast lift to correct position and size of the areolas.  This is certainly safe as your surgeon will be cutting along the areas they cut in the lift surgery. 

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Best time for scar revision following breast surgery

+1

It sounds like you have a good plan.  It is not inherently dangerous to have this areas of minor asymmetry and scarring corrected after the scars have matured for at least one year.  

Revision of breasts

+1

First, I would say that you have an excellent result considering your initial asymmetry. It is possible to raise the nipple on the lower side and perhaps revise the scars, but I would wait a year.

Revision of your breast lift and augmentation is very safe at 6 month to a year

+1

While the only one who can decide if it is worth going through further surgery to improve the results of your lift and augmentation is you, it should be very safe at 6 months to a year. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Dangerous to have Multiple Breast Operations?

+1

Congratulations on a very nice result after breast surgery;  I'm sure your plastic surgeon appreciates your appreciation of the improvement achieved. Your plan to improve the results of the procedure one year postoperatively is perfectly reasonable and does not expose you to extraordinary risk.

Best wishes;  enjoy the significant improvement you have achieved.

Dangers of multiple breast surgeries and risks of complications

+1

Hi Tina,

Staging breast lifts and augmentations can be a great solution for improved safety and satisfying outcomes, especially when a tuberous breast shape is part of the picture.  Since these cases are a bit more complex than either a straight up lift or augmentation, it is not unusual to go back for minor superficial adjustments, such as a revision of a scar or minimal reshaping of the areola.

At 4 months, you are only about a third of the way through your healing and there is a good chance that at 12 months you will be pleased with the outcome and may find that there is no need to do anything else.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

I think that is a reasonable plan

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  I think you have a good plan.  Revision of your scars as well as areola size and position at this point in your healing process is an acceptable and safe plan.  You will likely benefit from a purse-string type areolaplasty using a permanent suture.  Good luck on your revision surgery.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Multiple Breast Implant Surgery Safety

+1

Hi! Yes, a year after breast implant surgery it is safe to perform minor revisions. That is an appropriate amount of time to allow in case things get better on their own.

Michael Horn, MD

Difficult Case

+1

Tuberous breast deformity are difficult cases. There is usually a paucity of tissue, short nipple to inframammary fold distance and large areolas.  You also had a considerable amount of asymmetry between the right and left nipple preoperatively. The results are good and I agree that you have come along way.  The wide scars under your breast are difficult to correct given the small amount of redundant tissue that you have in that area.  Since you're only 16 weeks postop, I would encourage you to wait at least a year before contemplating scar revision.  This is because the scars will continue to mature and fade with time. You do have a smaller left areola when compared to the right areola.  This also can be challenging and difficult to correct because of the tight skin envelope. Reducing the diameter of the areola on the right side can be performed however it will be difficult to match it to the same level as the left side. At this time, I would continue to be patient and wait and discuss further revisions with your plastic surgeon.

Patrick Hsu, MD, FACS