Is it dangerous to bother the crusted blood/mucus in my nostrils after rhinoplasty?

I had septo/rhinoplasty 12 days ago and have the bad habit of placing the tip of my finger in my nose to loosen/detach the crusted blood/mucus in the tops of my nostrils. I'm concerned I'll ruin the dissolvable stitches or enlarge my nostrils by allowing my finger inside them. And while messing with the crust, I caused my nose to bleed slightly and now I'm afraid I've affected the stitches or worse. Could this be the case? Are there any solutions to help me avoid irritating my nose even more?

Treatment of crusted blood and mucus after rhinoplasty

+1
Nasal saline spray is much less traumatic than placing your fingers in your nose 12 days after nose surgery. Ask your plastic surgeon to see if it is ok to use. Thanks for your question. Best wishes.

+1
At 12 days post op, I highly recommend that you keep your fingers out of your nose.  This can disturb the healing causing complications.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon to confirm that you are healing as you should.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD