Does Dance or Aerobics Cause More Swelling and Bloating After Liposuction?

I took a hip hop dance class 24 days after liposuction and today i feel a little bloated. I am also ovulating, do you think the exercise or ovulation is causing me to be more bloated than usual? I really love exercising, can't imagine not doing so.

Liposuction and swelling

+2

Swelling with exercise is quite normal after liposuction. You have to give it more time for this reponse to exercises will go away. I think it is OK to exercise 3 weeks after liposuction; just wear some form of compression garment.

Keep exercising

+2

It's fine to exercise 10-14 days after liposuction. Wear your compression garments for as long as your doctor advised but its good to wear something snug while exercising for at least a month. Probably much of what you are seeing is hormonal.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Swelling can get worse as you begin exercising

+1
That could be happening. When you start exercising after surgery, swelling can be worsened. Fortunately, as you recover you'll notice it becoming less and less of a problem. To help with swelling, you can try wearing your compression garment while you work out and in the time after it.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Can Worsen By Exercising So Soon After Liposuction, But Not So Much Bloating

+1
Congratulations on your liposuction!  Obviously, you are feeling great.

Generally, if all goes well the majority of swelling is gone in two to three weeks and residual swelling can take a few months. Athletic activities usually have to wait until 3 weeks. However, you will have to avoid sun exposure to your incisions as they can become permanently discoloured and more visible.  

Please take it easy while you recover. The last thing you want to do is compromise your results, or worse, your health!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

You can exercise freely 2 weeks after liposuction.

+1

Hi.

Feeling bloated is not alarming. After liposuction, there is bruising, which typically is gone in three weeks. You don't see the final shape for four months. But you can exercise all you want now. You won't do any harm.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Swelling after Liposuction surgery

+1

Bloating has many causes and generally indicates more gas. It also can be caused by slow transit time through your gut. This may be aggravated by surgery or pain relievers that are narcotic based. Generally exercise tends to improve GI motility and over the long term should decrease bloating.

Another common cause of bloating after surgery, but not necessarily related to exercise, is the change in your GI Flora (the bacteria in your gut) resulting from the antibiotics used. You may want to consider a course of probiotics from your local health food store. Generally, the formulations that contain multiple different bacteria are better than the single strains.

Swelling also has many causes, but is distinguished because it generally refers to and is related to edema (fluid) in the tissues. This can persist for several months after liposuction and can be made worse by exercise.

I would consult with your surgeon regarding limitations on exercise but wearing a spandex compression garment will help to minimize swelling.

I hope you find this helpful.

Wait 6 weeks after Lipo to be safe

+1

The general recommendation is to wait for at least 6 weeks after Lipo. From a swelling stand point, you might get more swelling from more activity. Take it very slow and wear a garment.

Bloating has so many reasons and could not be explained by the liposuction/activity.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS