What treatment would you recommend to fix a fractured nose? (photos)

I was elbowed on the nose about 3 months ago, it was swollen & I'm pretty sure I fractured it. Now I have a bump on the left side of my nose & it really bothers me because my nose was straight now it is crooked. Also I feel like I don't breath as much air as I should be on my left nostril, i'm worried what should I do to get rid of this bump?

Nasal fracture

+1
Blunt trauma to the nose can result in either damage to the bone or cartilage or both nasal stuctures. This can result in breathing problems and cosmetic deformities .Both of these conditions are evaluated by your surgeon and may require a CT scan. Treatment is relatively straight forward and you can expect a good result in the hands of an experienced MD.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

A broken nose should be fixed within 2 weeks or after 2 months.

+1
A fractured nose should really be popped back into position within the first 2 weeks. This way the bones will heal as straight as possible. This can be done in the office or the operating room. If you miss this time window, which you have, you need to wait at least 2 months or longer. A broken nose can block breathing. A fractured septum can give you a deviated nasal septum. If this is the case then you will need the septum repaired in the operating room and can fix the fractured nasal bones at the same time. Insurance should help with the cost of the surgery if there is a functional breathing issue.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal fracture

+1
If you fractured your nose 3 months ago and now have trouble breathing and you have a bump, then you may want a rhinoplasty to address these issues. You can be evaluated now, but I would what a few more months before undergoing surgery.

What treatment would you recommend to fix a fractured nose?

+1
    I would get an evaluation by a rhinoplasty surgeon for your breathing.  The cosmetic issues can be addressed at the same time.

Nasal trauma to fix a fractured nose and deviated septum

+1
Trauma to  the nose can fracture the nasal bones and septum. Fractured nasal bones result in a twisted, crooked nasal bones and dorsal irregularities as shown in the photographs. Medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones are required to straighten and repair the twisted and fractured bones. Occasionally, a cartilaginous spreader graft is inserted underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage. In many instances, a deviated septum results from trauma to the nose as well which blocks airflow through the nose. A septoplasty is done for medical necessity to improve airflow dynamics through the nose.  A rhinoplasty is done for cosmetic purposes.  For many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link below

Nasal fracture

+1
At the time of injury we would have done a closed reduction. Now you need to have your nose evaluated and a rhinoplasty can improve the appearance. This is a common procedure and has a rapid recovery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Nose injury 3 months old

+1
Three months out from the injury, the fracture is healed and you may have developed scar tissue at the fracture site leaving you the crooked appearance. You also may have moved the septum inside causing a deviation and airflow issues. I would recommend you see a plastic surgeon who is board certified in your area that performs nasal procedures frequently. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose and fixing it

+1
Dear Unknown203,

• It would be best to be evaluated by a nasal expert
  • The fracture is relatively easy to fix, the problems breathing should also be addressed, and can be done at the same time
  • Please see a specialist who can address all of your concerns 

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD