What Are Damon Braces?

I was wondering the differences between damon and regular braces or invisalign? What do they look like? Thank you.

Damon Braces vs Regular Braces

+1

To the naked eye....both braces would look very much alike.  They are both bonded (glued) onto the tooth and a wire goes through the bracket heads.  The "regular" brace would require a small rubber tie (often colored) to hold the wire in the bracket slot while the Damon brace (a self-ligated bracket)  would use a small sliding door to capture the wire.  Damon braces are believed to cause less friction between the wire and the brace (which I believe to be true!) so the movement of the teeth can occur more efficiently.  Some orthodontists argue against this but I still use Damon brackets exclusively.  The difference between "braces' and Invisalign is that braces really grab a hold of your teeth while Invisalign kinda' squeezes your teeth.  Both ways can work but in some cases braces are a better choice.

Sacramento Orthodontist

Damon Braces: Fact and Fiction

+1

I use Damon brackets on every patient and I love them! Here's a few facts that might help clear up some common misconceptions however:

Damon braces are just braces. They don't move teeth any faster (this has been clinically documented many times). They will still make your teeth sore. You may still need an expander, overbite elastics, extractions, or even jaw surgery. They won't make your smile any broader than any other bracket; that is a function of the shape of the wire.They don't grow new bone where you don't have any. And they still require that your orthodontist use sound, proven diagnosis and treatment planning.

If they're not that different, why do I use them? I like them because they are easier for my staff to use. Adjustments are faster and are the "tie ins" more consistent. The newest Damon Q bracket has drop-in hooks and auxiliary hooks that are relaly slick. They are also small, smooth, and very attractive.

I have used almost every self-ligating bracket on the market and feel that Dr. Dwight Damon has designed a winner with his latest version. Just keep in mind however that it is the orthodontist using the system that produces the beautiful result and not the braces themselves. I might be able to buy the same guitar as Eddie Van Halen, but that doesn't mean that I can make it scream like he can!

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist

The Damon Braces System is a Revolutionary Treatment Philosophy

+1

What Are Damon Braces?

The Damon Braces System is a revolutionary system of state-of-the-art braces and high-tech wires designed to deliver full, natural 10-tooth smiles and improve the overall facial result of each orthodontic patient.

The Damon Philosophy combines the following key components, which when used together, deliver beautiful broad smiles in fewer appointments and with greater comfort than traditional braces:

1. Damon passive self-ligating braces that eliminate the need for elastic or metal "ties" that you need with traditional braces. With Damon tie-less braces you can experience treatment without tightening. This means faster appointments and more comfort.
  2. Light high-technology shape-memory wires that help move teeth faster and require fewer adjustments.
  3. A new clinically proven treatment approach that aligns your teeth and enhances your facial aesthetics

If you are interested in finding out what Damon Braces look like I would go to their website and have a look at them. They also have new Damon Clear Braces that are nearly invisible.

Comparing them to Invisalign is difficult because Invisalign moves teeth differently than braces do, and the two don't look the same at all. Invisalign is a great tool, but you simply can do more with Damon Braces and Braces in general than you can with Invisalign, so before choosing a tool it is best to talk with your orthodontist about what your goals are for treatment and then picking the right appliance to get you there. 

Scott Frey, DDS
Allentown Orthodontist