Damon Braces Vs Invisalign for Crowded Teeth?

I need professional help selecting which between Damon brackets w/ Suresmile wires or Invisalign. The dentist told me that it might be 12 months with Braces or 18 months with Invisalign. I don't know which to choose. I don't care. Both was quoted as same price. Here are the problems that was noted: upper and lower arches too narrow, mild crowding of upper teeth, moderate crowding of lower teeth, lower midline off to the right. Also open for more price quotes. STL

You Could Treat with Both, but the Damon Result will Look Better

+2

It is tough to see the pictures of your teeth since they are pretty tiny and don't get bigger when I clicked them, but It definitely appears as though your case can be treated with both tools.

Which one you want to choose comes down to a question of your treatment goals. If you are primarily concerned with the impact on your lifestyle, I would go with Invisalign. If you want the best possible smile, you should go with the Damon Braces.

The reasons why the Damon Braces might give you a better result are as follows:

• It can be difficult to develop a smile arc (your upper teeth following the curvature of your lower lip when smiling) with Invisalign. A Smile Arc is a key component of a great smile and it looks like in the photos yours might be just a little on the flat side.

• It is easier to broaden smiles with Damon Braces than with Invisalign, but it appears as though most of your teeth are tipped in so Invisalign will broaden it a bit. Widening smiles to show more teeth makes them come alive.

Allentown Orthodontist

Comparing Damon and Suresmile with Invisalign

+2

Theoretically, either system will straighten your teeth since thye don't care where the force comes from (plastic vs. wires). Having said that, here are some factors to consider in choosing between the systems. With Invisalign you have the advantages of it being a clear system that can be removed so you can eat anything you want and brush and floss like a pro! The main downsides are that if you are not 100% compliant and forget to put them in (or if you tend to misplace things) they will be completely ineffective and a waste of your money. There is also the risk that there may be some little details that will not be corrected completely as the orthodontist has little control after the manufacturer ships your aligners. The Damon System (or any braces for that matter) coupled with Suresmile can also give you a great result. The advantages of traditional braces over Invisalign are that the orthodontist has more control over your result than with Invisalign, complex tooth movements are possible, and compliance is less of an issue (you can't forget to wear your braces!). The obvious drawbacks to Damon are that braces are more visible, you have to be more careful about what you eat, and cleaning is a little more challenging. If you really "don't care" either way, I'd recommend the Damon-Suresmile combination. You'll get a great result without too much effort on your part... Good luck!

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist

Invisalign vs Damon and Suresmile

+2

As an orthodontist who uses Damon braces with Suresmile and Invisalign I would agree with orther answers that both modalities will give you excellent results. To my patients I would present the options as more of life style choices, which do you want to live with for a few months?

Samie Thabet, MD
Germantown Orthodontist

Damon would be my answer

+1

In the end, it is all about the result....not how you get there...but that you got there!  Hands-down....brackets on the teeth and having the opportunity to detail the finishing wires is right in the wheel-house for an orthodontist.  All of the computer driven appliances will require personal "tweeking" by a true finisher of orthodontics.  In Invisalign, all of the movement needs are pre-programmed before the aligners are manufactured and subsequent micro adjustments are very limited.  If wearing fixed appliances does not bother you (and I have many patients of all ages who make this decision) having braces gives the orthodontist much more flexibility during your treatment and you'll probably be in treatment for a shorter treatment period.  Go get 'em and good luck!

Russell Sutliff, DDS
Sacramento Orthodontist

Damon Braces or Invisalign both work

+1

In your case, they both would be good options. Invisalign compliance seems to be the biggest challenge, where brackets become more predictable since they don't come off. The fee and timeline are likely the same.

If you KNOW you can follow directions and comply, then I would suggest Invisalign.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

End result will be the same....choice is yours!!!

+1

The end result of both the treatment modalities is going to be the same. The time line should be the same as well.

Damon braces or Invisalign are both just the tools to move the teeth. it all depends upon the clinicians exposure and expertise in Invisalign. In our office the timeline is same either way whichever way you wish to go.

The differences generally are more in terms of patient (you) compliance. Invisalign treatment is entirely dependent on you to wear the aligners. The fixed braces (damon or any other) is more in control of the clinician as there are fixed on your teeth.

So, if your are disciplined person I would recommend go for Invisalign as long as the clinician has enough experience treating such malocclusion.

Good luck!!!

Bobby Virk, DMD, MSD
Bellevue Orthodontist