Have I Damaged my Nose After Being Kicked by my Toddler?

I'm 2 weeks post-op from open rhinoplasty/septoplasty. Nose was narrowed, straightened, tip size & nostrils reduced. My toddler kicked me up the nose hard. His foot hit the columella and tip of my nose. My nose hurt on contact, but pain resolved within 30 secs. No bleeding, no swelling, no tenderness and no changes to the shape of my nose. What signs/symptoms should I look out for? Could there be damage that I can't see/feel? What is likelihood of ruining results of rhinoplasty? Thanks.

Have I damaged my nose after being kicked by my toddler?

+2

It is not likely you sustained any damage that will affect your final outcome, but I would recommend following up with your surgeon so he or she may examine your nose to ensure you are healing properly. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

+2

Based upon your description, the likelihood of damage is low, but I would follow with your surgeon.

Kicked in the Nose by Toddler Following Rhinoplasty

+2

The initial healing that occurs within the first 2 weeks following rhinoplasty stabilizes the underlying structures significantly.  Even if a solid hit were to displace cartilage and/or bone, the segments would probably "bounce" back into place immediately.  This may delay full healing, fusion and stabilization, but the result should be the same as it would have been had the trauma not happened.  The fact that you had no bleeding, swelling or obvious displacement means that you'll be fine.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

For the the first couple of weeks during your rhinoplasty recovery, your nose is stabilizing from the surgery. After that period, your nose should be able to handle a situation like this but it's possible that your healing will be delayed as a result. You may be okay though because you did not experience any bleeding or swelling. If any changes occur, it's best to see your facial plastic surgeon to make sure your nose is healing properly.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS