Could Chiropractic Work Have Damaged Implants For Breast Reconstruction?

I had many Chiro adjustments about 1 year after my breast reconstruction. I was wondering if the could cause the implants to be damaged? The adjustments involved laying on tummy and pushing on the spine briskly. I have gummy implants. They look very misshapen now. I did not think about it at the time but it just occured to me that this may have somthing to do with the way my reconstruction has turned out. I am currently almost five years from my surgery Thanks Laura

How to evaluate breast implants after reconstruction

+2

Although lying prone for chiropractic treatments or massage should not damge the implants," gummy bear" implants (Allergan style 410, Mentor CPG) will look different if they rotate out of position. You should see your plastic surgeon for evaluation.

Implant changes

+2

If your implants look funny to you,. then I suggest that you see your plastic surgoen to be evaluated to make sure everything is ok.

Breast Reconstruction

+2

You need to be evaluated by a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON. Evaluate the implants(MRI).

and the results and what can be done to improve on the results

Damage from chiropractic adjustments

+1
I have had many patients report damage from this type of adjustment in all types of silicone implants including gummy bear.  It would seem that trauma from rough mammograms, car accidents, and chiropractic adjustments predate a problem with increased leakage and sometimes with rupture.  I have extensive experience with explantation of defective implants (after explantation we see how much silicone has leaked out due to the weights on intact silicone implants).  This problem is more significant in old implants in my experience.

Susan Kolb, MD