Damage to Eye From A Scratch. Can I Get This Corrected?

A few years ago, I was a victim of egging, which resulted in my pupil being scratched. I am no longer able to see out of that eye. Is there a possibility that I can have this corrected by surgery or is it too late for me?

Surgical correction for Damage to Eye

+1

I'm very sorry that this happened to you.  I hope you didn't suffer any other serious injuries.  Based on your description, it is possible that the damage to your eye is on the retina rather than the pupil (iris) or the cornea.  Damage to the cornea, particularly superficial, can occasionally be treated with laser resurfacing similar to the PRK used for eliminating glasses.  This could eliminate mild scarring on the cornea.  Cornea transplants (full or partial thicknesses) can be used for moderate or severe scarring in some cases.

You noted that the damage occurred a couple years ago and left you unable to see out of that eye.  Damage to the retina will likely not be treatable after a couple years with the current technology.

If the damage resulted in cataracts, these might also be treated.  You should have an eye exam by an eye care professional to determine what your specific individual needs are. 

Web reference: http://www.laservue.com/wavefront-lasik/prk/

San Francisco Ophthalmologist

Depends

+1

This depends on whether the damage is isolated to the cornea or extends into the eye. If the damage is isolated to the cornea, there are different solutions available depending on the depth of the damage. If there was damage to the retina in the back of the eye, it may not be correctable. You'd have to see an eye doctor to get a good sense of your prognosis. 

New York Ophthalmologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.