Stomach Protruding Still After 3 1/2 Weeks? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck and breast augmentation 31/2 weeks back after 160 lb weight loss. My upper abdomen is protruding. Can you please tell me what can be done ? My doc says that he cannot do anything but to do a liposuction, after 6 months. Also I feel my implants are too far apart. Please advice is how it looks to you. Next week I am going for arm surgery. Please do advice me what can I do to help .

Final Results Take Many Months to See

+2

Dear New.Me,

It is too early to ascertain whether this is swelling or residual fat. It is risky to do liposuction on the abdominal flap at the same time as a tummy tuck. It truly takes a full six months for all the discernible swelling to leave. At that point, revisional liposuction can be considered. I assume that the surgeon tightened the abdominal muscles at the same time as your tummy tuck was performed. If not, this would allow the fat that is around the internal organs to bulge forward, so you should ask your surgeon this question.

Your implants are properly placed. There is only one position that is correct and that is to be centered under the nipple areola complex, and yours are appropriately positioned from what I can see on the photographs.

An additional word of advice is this. You mentioned a 160-pound weight loss, so you may have had bariatric surgery such as a lap band or gastric sleeve or bypass. I would caution you in doing too many procedures too close together and you should take in at least 80 grams of protein per day while you are healing or else you will have wound healing problems.

I hope this has been a help to you. Be patient and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Robert D. Wilcox, M.D.

Mommy makeover

+1

I agree with the theme of the responses that waiting for 3-4 months is best. It looks like you are on the road to a nice change and I bet if we saw your pre op pics we would all be impressed. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

3.5 Weeks Postop

+1

Its too early to tell if you are experience swelling or if the bulging is residual fat.  I'd wait at least 6-8 weeks before making any judgements.  And I'd wait a few months before considering any secondary liposuction procedures.  Continue with your compression garments to manage your postop swellling.  Best wishes.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Liposuction following tummy tuck

+1

You can benefit from additional liposuction in future months.  The risk of complications increases substantially with extensive liposuction of the upper abdomen at the same time as a tummy tuck.

David Stoker, MD

Stomach protrusion 3 weeks after Mommy Makeover

+1

Thank you for sharing your postoperative photos.  It is difficult to tell if your bulge is due to intra-abdominal/visceral fat,  remaining subcutaneous fat or normal postoperative swelling.  The only way to determine this is to perform an exam and allow us to see your preoperative photos.  

I would wait 4-6 months prior to any revision to give ample time for all swelling to resolve.  This will make the revision surgery safer and more accurate.  

In terms of your implant position, it is far too early to tell their final position.   I would continue with your massage exercises and followup closely with your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Assessing Your Early Results

+1

Surgical results can be difficult to judge at 3 weeks. Your appearance will continue to change over the next several months. That said,you should communicate your concerns to your plastic surgeon. If his responses don't satisfy you, do not hesitate to get a second opinion.

Robert J. Schwartz, M.D.

Protrusion after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your photos.  You do have some protrusion on your abdomen.  However, it may be due to your intra-abdominal content pushing out, excess fat, and/or swelling.  Your overall contour will most likely improve with time as postoperative swelling subsides.  I agree with your plastic surgeon and wait for 6 months prior to any revision/liposuction.  Your implants do not look too far apart on photos.

Sugene Kim, MD

Need to of soft tissue swelling to resolve. Repost in 3 months

+1

You appear to look find after only 3 weeks.  Give it time for your swelling to resolve. I would not begin to judge your result until you are at the 3 month point. 

Stomach Protruding Still After 3 1/2 Weeks?

+1

I am sure you had a dramatic improvement-- BUT you did not post before photos!!! You might have been better served to have continued more weight loss before this surgery.