My fiance has scars on her forehead after an accident. Is it possible to remove the scars completely? Are scars are permanent?

Dear Sir / Madam, My fiance met with an accident and has got 12 stiches on her forehead. Even after 6 months I can see a line on her forehead. Please let me know whether it is possible to remove the scars completely from her forehead? Are scars are permanent? Please Advise.

Facial scars

+1
Our office specializes in scar revision. For facial scars, we utilize a combination of pulsed dye laser, laser resurfacing, and we recommend application of Plato's Scar Serum at least twice daily. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Scars can typically be improved, not removed

+1
Most scars can be improved either with topical scar gels, resurfacing or surgery. However, no scar can be completely removed. To frame the discussion properly, you and your fiancee will need to consider how much improvement can be provided by various treatments. However, scars can never be erased. The goal is to improve a scar to the point that it's not noticeable on casual inspection or, if it's noticeable, that it is not distracting from other more pleasing facial features.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon 

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traumatic Scars & Surgical Scars Can Be Improved By Fractional Medical Microneedling Scarabrasion

+1
Unfortunately, for the present, scars, particularly mature scars (those over 8-12 weeks old) are permanent. However, while mature scars cannot be completely erased, they can be significantly improved.

Without a photo it is difficult to comment more specifically. However, in general, the suture tracks and line-like scars left after surgical repair of traumatic wounds of the forehead (and elsewhere) can be improved by the subsequent dermabrasion of the wound, a process known as scarabrasion. 

For more than the past quarter of a century scarabrasion consisted of traditional motorized dermabrasion of the scar or of manual dermasanding with sterilized sanding paper. More recently, I have been using fractional microneedle therapy (aka dermal rolling, skin needling) for this purpose. The latter engenders little downtime and can be easily repeated if necessary to achieve gratifying improvement. For more information on fractional medical microneedle therapy, I suggest checking out the archives of Realself.com.

Ideally, scarabrasion should be performed on young scars, i.e. those less than three months old, as treatment of these within the critical 8-12 week interval can sometimes lead to almost complete obliteration of the scar.

I recently had to do this for three separate traumatic wounds that were surgically repaired on my wife's forehead. The treatment was performed ten weeks following the injuries and their emergent repair and resulted in excellent aesthetic improvement.

Consultation with a board certified core physician with expertise and experience in scar revision is a must.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD