3 weeks post op of Tummy Tuck, I noticed a pooch after meals. Is this normal? (photos)

I had a tummy tuck over three weeks ago, and I am concerned about the results. I had a very nice stomach before, but after four children I noticed a pooch after meals. That issue remains after surgery. I was told it is intermittent swelling; however, the swelling ONLY occurs after meals. If I don't eat for a day or two, I don't "swell" at all. Within 20 minutes of eating, the pooch is there. There is no fluid present. I'm 5'3 105lbs, and had a TT and fat transfer to butt.

When things come and go during your recovery

+2
it suggests you simply have to give it more time to heal.  Problems don't go away at night or when not eating.  So it suggests you just have intermittent swelling associated with meals that should improve with time.  Best to keep your surgeon in the loop so there are no surprises and if something more concerning is appreciated, it can be dealt in an expeditious manner.

Swelling after a tummy tuck

+1
Swelling for a few weeks or even a few months after a tummy tuck is quite normal. As long as your surgeons feels there is not a seroma (fluid collection) you should not worry at this time. Follow up with your plastic surgeons for a more detailed exam if this persists.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

3 weeks post op of Tummy Tuck, I noticed a pooch after meals. Is this normal?

+1
Relax, it's absolutely normal. You will also find more swelling at the end of the day. You may wake up and be so happy with how flat your abdomen is only to be concerned in late afternoon after getting home from work. Again, it's all normal. I tell my patinets that swelling following a tummy tuck may take up to 1 year. God luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

+1
Don't be alarmed!  It takes weeks to months for all the swelling to subside after a Tummy Tuck.  You are so early in the healing process, that I am not surprised that you notice a pooch.  It is important to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon, as he knows exactly what was done at the time of surgery, for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD