Is my Nose Big, Long, or wide? What could be done if I ever get Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I feel like the tip of my nose is wide. I have heard so many people say I have a big nose. I never really thought about it until I saw a profile view of my nose a couple years back and now I talk to people straight on and try to make sure they don't see the profile view, even though I know everyone has seen it. I see pictures of myself and it looks like the right side is straight and the left is crooked. For future references, I would like to know what could be done if I ever get rhinoplasty.

Is my Nose Big, Long, or wide? What could be done if I ever get Rhinoplasty?

+1
Thank you for the photos that accompany your question of what could be done if you ever choose to have a rhinoplasty procedure. Measurements of your face and nose, along with life size photographs, would allow for a recommendation of what surgical techniques might do to address any crookedness or largeness in your nose. Sometimes the measurements show that the proportion of the nose is good in relation to the whole face and that perhaps there are other facial characteristics that are out of balance (i.e.: the cheeks or chin being to prominent/retruding), sometimes the clinical exam shows the nose to be straight but because of cartilage shaping of the skin the nose just appears crooked. All these things could be evaluated and recommendations for what could be done should best be made after a consult with a specialist in rhinoplasty. I encourage you to look carefully at the history of the surgeon you choose. Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult of aesthetic procedures to perform.

-Dr. Steve Byrd

Am I candidate for rhinoplasty surgery

+1
Dear happy 10145,

• Getting a rhinoplasty is a personal decision and should be done if you want it done
  • When you are ready, you can refine the tip and make the profile a little smaller
  • Find a rhinoplasty specialist in your area who can address your concerns

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty possibilites

+1
You have acute face.  Your nose is a little large and might be improved with some tip debulking and refinement.  For maximum improvement in facial proportionality you may want to consider a modest chin augmentation.  This would be extremely beneficial for your profile aesthetics.

Be sure to consult a doctor certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and be sure to review his/her portfolio of pictures so you can gauge experience level and the types of results that are reasonable to expect.

Normally I am not a fan of recommending things that the patient does not bring up first, but in the case of rhinoplasty aesthetics the chin figures prominently.  For you, specifically, more chin projection would be of significant benefit.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate and possible chin implant

+1
The photographs show an overly projected, bottom heavy nose and a recessive chin. The rhinoplasty procedure would involve reducing the bulbous tip and  straightening the nose.  You may need a cartilage graft placed in the glabella which is low. Straightening the nasal bones is accomplished with medial and lateral osteotomies. The bulbous tip is reduced with suture techniques to the lower lateral cartilages.
A chin implant alone, if performed, would help with facial balance and  increased projection of the chin to help balance out the overly projected nose. 

+1
Your best course is to obtain a full rhinoplasty. But best to seek ONLY IN PERSON opinions from boarded surgeons in Texas... 

+1
You can improve the cosmetic balance of your face with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty. A subtle chin implant will provide additional harmony of your features. Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you. Whether you should have the procedure is a personal decision only you can make. Additional information about the procedure which can be obtained at a consultation will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is My Nose Big, Long, or Wide?

+1
Your nose is wide and looks bigger than it really is because of this width and the the lack of proportion between different parts of the nose. Your nose is not long. A rhinoplasty will decrease the width and narrow your nose. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon so you refine your nose, improve balance, and achieve a natural result.  

Is my nose big, long, or wide?

+1
Many of my patients ask whether their nose is big, long, or wide? It is a common question that many who are seeking rhinoplasty ask me. What exactly are facial proportions that give symmetry and balance to the face.
The choice to undergo rhinoplasty is a personal decision made by the patient and upon consultation with a trusted surgeon. A wide nasal bridge can be improved with osteotomies or bone cuts in the nasal pyramid. The crooked nose can be addressed by correcting assymetry in the tip and middle bridge or vault of the nose by using a combination of cartilage spreader grafts, and repositioning the nasal tip in an extension graft. The profile can be smoothed out with a rasp and a small onlay graft if needed. Consulting with a facial plastic surgeon can help to further delineate your concerns.
The size of the nose must match the proportions of the face to give aesthetic balance. When patients consider how big their nose is, they may see a nose that projects too much from the face. The nasal tip should approximate the length between the upper lip and the base of the nose. Appropriate proportions of the size of the nose include nasal length that matches approximately one third of the face from the nasal starting point to the end of the nose. A nasal width that approximates the width of the eye is considered aesthetically ideal. Within these constraints, tip refinement can help shape the lower third of the nose. The thickness of the skin may limit the final result but to a lesser degree than the other changes that I mentioned. Establishing a relationship with a board certified facial plastic surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty is recommended.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1
Refinement of your nose is possible. You may also want to consider a chin implant as well. It looks a bit retrusive.  Best of luck.

S my Nose Big, Long, or wide? What could be done if I ever get Rhinoplasty?

+1
The dorsum can be refined, and the asymmetry can be improved to give you a more refined nose through a closed approach with less downtime and scars that are hidden within the nose.