Do I Need to Get Lipo on my Love Handles Done for my Tummy Tuck to Look Right? (photo)

I am 30 years old, 5'3 and 130 lbs. I just had my second and final child 5 mo ago (I have been at my pre preg weight since a week after his birth). I am scheduling a full tummy tuck and will obviously ask my PS what he thinks but want more than just one opinion. If I'm getting surgery, it might as well be the best option - I'm pretty happy with my general size, I just want to be firmer and smaller around my stomach.

Liposuction Improves Most Tummy Tuck Results

+3

From an aesthetic standpoint, most tummy tuck patients are going to benefit by liposuction in the flanks or love handle areas. Most women think that the tummy tuck effect goes further around the waistline than it does. So if liposuction is not done, disappointment is likely. If you have no problems further out on your sides than your hip points, then you don't need liposuction. Your pictures, however, show fullness around the sides into the back. Reducing this will help give a more shapely waistline in a near circumferential fashion.

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+3

Hi DallasKatt,

Great question! I think almost every tummy tuck patient can benefit from liposuction in the areas of the front hips and waist area. At the very least this can decease the chance of "dog-ears" at the ends of the tummy tuck scar. I include this in my fee quote.

Based on the pictures I see, I don't think it would be absolutely necessary for you to have liposuction to have a good result. So if the extra expense would be out of your budget range, I think you could still have a positive outcome without the liposuction.

Best of luck.

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and love handle lipos

+3

Thank you for this good question and pictures. You are a good candidate for a Tummy tuck. Most patients do benefit from additional love handle (flanks) liposuction. I prefer the Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty which allows for more precise liposuction and sculpting while keeping the blood supply intact and safe. Best of luck. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Liposuction of love handles with Tummy Tuck

+2

Liposuction of the love handles (or flanks) is quite common during a tummy tuck procedure. Though not always necessary, it may help improve the contour that the tummy tuck will give.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

+2

In my practice I measure the hip/flank areas to determine if liposuction would benefit. Over the internet I can ONLY guess--- Yes lipo the area. 

Love Handle Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

+1

While not absolutely necessary, based on your pictures, love handle liposuction would enhance the results of your tummy tuck. Both procedures are frequently done together. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need to Get Lipo on my Love Handles Done for my Tummy Tuck to Look Right?

+1

This question can best be answered at a consultation since it does require more than just photos.  The photos are a bit blurry, but the love handles don't jump off the computer screen. The pull on the abdominal muscles and the abdominal skin may well provide enough improvement of the waistline that liposuction would add nothing further. 

Thanks for your question and for the attached photos. Best wishes.