Does Juvederm with the XC Numbing Agent Have Less Actual Filler in the Syringe?

Does Juvederm with the XC numbing agent have less actual filler in the syringe because there is also lidocaine in that syringe? If that is the case, I would rather just take the straight Juvederm Ultra Plus and deal with the pain! I'm getting it in my lips for the second time. Did it once with ULtra Plus XC and could barely notice a difference.

Filler amount

It's the same amount even though lidocaine has been added. You may want to consider more filler for a more noticeable difference, or Volbella, which is specifically designed for the lips.

Same amount

Whether or not numbing or no numbing is added, the amount in the syringe is the same. You can also use a topical numbing agent to slightly offset any pain. Best of luck!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Same amount of product

The lidocaine added in manufacturing Juvederm is a powder form and should not compromise the volume of product administered. Hope this helps!

Juvederm XC

The amount of Juvederm in the syringe is the same, whether or not it contains lidocaine.  Applying an anaesthetic cream before your treatment can reduce the pain.  In Canada, we are fortunate to have Juvederm Volbella which does contain lidocaine, is a more comfortable procedure and gives soft, long-lasting results.  

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm Ultra Plus XC

Using Juvederm Ultra Plus XC (anesthetic pre-loaded) will not result in less actual filler in the syringe.  Hope this is helpful.  Regards, Andy Shah MD

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Juvederm with XC actually have less product in the syringe?

No, there is not less in the syringe. It's such a small amount of suspended lidocaine that's in there it is negligible, but the actual content of the Juvederm is the same in each syringe. There's just a tad bit of suspended lidocaine in the XC version. While Juvederm is good for the lips, most of my patients prefer Restylane as the particle size is a bit larger and it gives a plumper appearance in the lips. I probably use Restylane 10:1 over Juvederm in the lips, so if you didn't notice the fill you wanted, you might want to try Restylane instead.

Juvederm for lip augmentation

The amount of lidocaine in the Juvederm XC is very minimal and the total amount of hyaluronic acid (the active product in the filler) is the same in the syringes with and without lidocaine.

Next time, you might want to try Volbella. It is the newest member of the Juvederm family and it is amazing for lip injections--very soft and smooth.

-Dr. Asaria

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler with lidocaine

The lidocaine only adds a small amount to the overall volume.  The syringe will have a bit extra do to that fact and you will  not lose filler.

Technically, the anesthesia does take up space although small.  Also, the syringes from allergan are overfilled and hence .2 cc of product extra in each syringe.

The Ultra plus you received should have produced a change.

One option is to just use topical anesthesia alone or in combo with nerve block.

Best

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist