Jowls Or Something Else? (Photo)

Not sure if this is jowls or something else. I am 24 yrs 5'6 ft and 117 lbs. Around my jaw line you may see what appears to be jowls. The skin is loose in that area. Given the picture and information provided can it be determined if there is a procedure I am suitable for that will correct the jowl area on my face? I can provide additional photos if necessary.

Jowling at age 24

+2
I observe a slight interruption of your jawline. After appropriate examination, I likely would recommend injectable fillers for jawline balancing in conjunction with non-invasive skin tightening using Ultherapy.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowls in a Young Face

+2
An in-person exam is best to assess the anatomy of the jawline, jowl, lower face area (to get a sense of volume at different perspectives, and to feel the skin laxity and underlying soft tissue).  But, based on that picture, there is slight fullness in the jowl.  I suspect genetics would play a large role in this- compare yourself to pictures of your parents or grandparents to get a sense of that.  After an exam, I would not expect to be recommending anything as drastic as a facelift or minifacelift, but more likely be recommending conservative liposuction/liposculpting just in that area.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowls in a Young Person

+2
Early jowls can result from loose skin and excess fat. Consult with a facial plastic surgeon who can offer you several options. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowls at 24?

+2
The photo and the information aren't enough to give you advice.
You may have your face tilted forward - this shows loose skin not seen in normal positions.
See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon face-to-face for an exam of your face from all angles.
I have seen early jowls in young women under certain conditions:
  1. significant weight loss,
  2. a facial injury that led to severe facial swelling,
  3. severe sun exposure,
  4. thyroid conditions, especially hypothyroidism.
Your best treatment depends on the cause. It can be anything from surgery, to fat and filler injections to thyroid replacement. For the thyroid, the test you need is a TSH. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

See a local plastic surgeon

+2
for a face to face evaluation and to review options available for you.  Depending on your concerns, you could fill, fat graft, liposuction, or tighten the overlying skin.  The only way to determine what is best is for you to see someone.

Curtis Wong, MD

Jowl correction in young patients

+2
It's tough to determine what's going on with a single view, especially with your neck covered. Jowls are related to descent of soft tissue volume down the lower cheek - this volume is restrained by a ligament below your oral commisure and jaw bone - options include facelift, liposuction or fillers. A physical exam would be required to determine what the best option is for you. 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Fillers a possibility for early jowling.

+1
The photograph is inadequate to make a pronouncement. If there is some development of jowling usually fillers or the first place to start. There safe, relatively painless, and are injected with input from the patient.

Jowls Or Something Else?

+1
I see very slight jowl laxity. I might try ThermiTight RF therapy which is a "tweener" operation under local with minimal invasive punctures. 

What are jowls

+1

Jowl descent is best evaluated on the oblique (3 quarters) view.  Jowling tends to be an age-related process and it is unlikely that jowl descent or significant skin laxity would be present at a young age.  If you are looking to improve the contour of your jaw and neckline you may want to consider using fillers or fat transfer to create a sharper, more linear shape.  

Hope this helps.  

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon