Had Face/Neck Lift and Breast Implants in Mexico. The surgeon told me the stitches can be removed. Problem - no one will remove.

I had a face/necklift and best implants fine in Mexico. My surgeon said the stitches can be removed, but no one will remove them. My primary physician, urgent care and even the ER told me they won't touch it. I even tried calling a couple plastic surgeons in Dallas, TX and was told no. Any suggestions? They need to choke out its been 13 days and the area around a couple stitches is turning red and becoming sore to touch. Hopefully its not a sign of infection.

Who will remove sutures

+2
Thank you for your face lift question.
The doctor who does your surgery is responsible for your post-operative care.
Call your Mexican surgeon and ask for a referral to a doctor near you.
If he cannot help, keep calling surgeons in Dallas - there are a lot.

Surgeons in the US do not like being asked to do this - simply because we are the ones who are sued once we see a patient with someone else's off-shore post-operative problem - as you will be unable to sue your Mexican surgeon if you have a poor result.

When you call, explain that you understand there will be a fee and offer to sign a release accepting that you will not sue the surgeon who provides your post-operative care. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Medical Tourism

+2
I periodically will operate on someone from out of town or out of state or out of the country.   Preoperatively, the plan for their follow up is laid out in detail so there are no surprises after surgery like you describe.   I won't let someone fly for two weeks after any significant surgery because of the risk of blood clots that go to the lungs, so if they have come from a long distance, they remain in town.   If they come from a easy drive away then we arrange their follow up with me or with a doctor in their area, but again all of this is arranged before surgery. There have been occasions that I have been called by another plastic surgeon asking me to see their patient In follow up. I am always happy to oblige, because this is the correct etiquette. It should not be up to you to a arrange your follow up. Your surgeon in Mexico should either see you himself or call a Dallas plastic surgeon and fill them in on your case so that local surgeon can then treat you appropriately.  

Do I see patients that come to me out of the blue with no prearrangement from their surgeon, sure, because ethically I feel it is the right thing for me to do. Contrary to other reviews not all physicians take the Hippocratic oath anymore because some of the language conflicts with modern medicine. However, most of us got into medicine to help people and you need help. 

i recommend you call your surgeon from Mexico and see if they can make an arrangement for you. If not then you will have to go through the phone listings in your area and throw yourselves at their mercy. Ask them what it will cost you to have sutures removed from previous surgery. 

And o anyone else reading this review, get your postoperative care plan in place before surgery, no matter where you have your surgery. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Had Face/Neck Lift and Breast Implants in Mexico.

+2
If you decided to have cosmetic surgery in Mexico or any other country, then you should have made the decision to have all follow-up visits with that same doctor.  Many US doctors do not want to treat a patient who had surgery in another country concerned that there may be issues that are difficult to treat.  There are some concerns about the type of doctor and quality of work that is being done abroad.  You picked that doctor in Mexico so you should also choose him or her to do all of the follow-up work.  

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

The perils of having surgery done in another country.

+1
One of the problems of having surgery remotely is that you are the responsibility of your surgeon And not your medical community. I'm sure A plastic surgeon will remove the sutures but expect to pay a fee.

Surgery elsewhere means care difficulties

+1
It is far better to have your surgery near your home town.   You may find someone to take out your sutures but expect to pay for this service.   An alternative is to go to your local emergency room for your care.  Emergency departments will take you .  Expect to pay around $500 at least for your emergency care.   It is far far better to have surgery near your home town..   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Left out to fend for yourself after traveling to Mexico for a facelift

+1
This is a recurring problem and one that should have been planned out prior to agreeing to have the surgery out of the country.  If a patient, in your situation, calls my office typically I will see them and remove the sutures.  I generally will not offer any specific medical or post operative advise since that is up to the original surgeon.  

Sutures

+1
Keep trying;  hopefully someone will help you.  This is the problem with foreign cosmetic surgery.  Many surgeons do not want to take on other surgeon's problems.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Stitches

+1
I am sorry to hear that docors in Texas that have taken the Hippocratic oath are refusing to take out your stitches - that is absurd. what difference does it make where they were placed if they need to be removed. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Downside of Travel Medicine

+1
If you endeavor to have any surgery outside your local area, you should also plan to stay nearby or to be available for routine follow-ups. Anything that may be a problem can be corrected early on as opposed to delayed treatment.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Had Face/Neck Lift and Breast Implants in Mexico. The surgeon told me the stitches can be removed. Problem - no one will remove

+1
Since you went to Mexico for the surgery, you should see that doctor for follow up, as he knows exactly what was done in your case.  This is your best option.  It is always best to have the operating surgeon guide you to recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD