Should I Be Concerned with Getting Lipo to my Stomach and Flanks Due to my Scar? (photo)

Hello. I had my gall bladder removed 10 yrs ago which left a horrible scar on my stomach. Since then I've had a tummy tuck with no complications. Now I am considering lipo to my stomach and flanks. Are there any risk or concern associated with getting lipo with having the scar on my stomach that I should be aware of?

Scars on abdomen and liposuction

+2

I think one always has to be concerned about scars on the abdomen and the risk of a hernia.  This is a contraindication to liposuction.

Should I Be Concerned with Getting Lipo to my Stomach and Flanks Due to my Scar?

+1

If you do not have a hernia, liposuction should be fine.  Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scars and liposuction

+1

You have to be sure their is no hernia involved with the scar. Once that determination is made then liposuction is possible. I have found it necessary to use ultrasonic liposuction to get the best result when dealing with scars, especially uneven scars. Sometimes it helps the result to excise the scar and redo it, with a z-plasty.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction around a scar

+1

Liposuction can be safely performed around a scar. It is hard to tell from the photograph, but liposuction can sometimes reduce the depression that the scar causes. Be certain to find a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area, who has lots of liposuction experience. Ask of they have any pictures of liposuction around scars too.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal scar will not be an issue for abdominal liposuction

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  The risks of complications are higher for a tummy tuck with a pre-existsing abdominal scar then they are from liposuction with the same scar presence.  The scar should not be a factor in terms of safety or efficacy of your planned abdominal liposuction.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Liposuction with old scars

+1

I would suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon who does liposuction. Liposuction can be done safely around old scars if certain precautions are used. You want to see someone who has done many liposuction cases, and also someone who can recognize any problems that might develop.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Indented scars on the abdomen can be improved dramatically during the liposuction.

+1

Whether they are do to gall bladder or c-sec procedures, ugly indented scars can be undermined and made to look flat and so much better at the same time lipo of the abdomen is being carried out under local anesthesia. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon